• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

DHC.2 Beaver

Started by Balsabasher, October 13, 2013, 11:58:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balsabasher

That is a pity it looks good in those colours,looks like a 'What if' then Lou.

Barry.

lastvautour

I don't why the RCAF never bought any. We had the DHC-1 through to -8 but no -2 Beavers. To bad.

Lou

lastvautour

Balsabasher

Thanks Lou that is a good simple scheme that looks attractive.
Barry.

Balsabasher

The undercarriage upper fillets were fabricated from scrap,these were angled and glued into place,then small splinters of wood were used to fiil any voids before Squadron putty was smoothed all around the joints and left to cure overnight on top of the computer before contouring and sanding.

Two propellers were carved back to back,one a useful spare,the wheels were fitted by making axles from small aluminium nails trimmed off with snips and epoxied into the undercarriage legs,a tiny tailwheel fixes onto the brass tube flattened on the anvil to make the tailwheel fork,the wing was shaped adding the characteristic bit of undercamber by rubbing with glasspaper wrapped around a large round sanding block,after pondering about the wing fixing I went for the centre slot technique which works well on high wing types,you can easily adjust the correct wing incidence in this way as well,tomorrow a bit of dihedral will be cranked into the wings after slots are cut on the lower portion of the mainplane and tiny wedges added to retain the correct dihedral angle,then everything trimmed and sanded smooth.
Barry.

lastvautour

1.JaVA_LGorrit

This is coming along really nicely!

Balsabasher

The wing has been glued to the fuselage after cranking in some dihedral angle into it,to do that I made a sawcut half way on the centre membrane then made up some tiny wedges which were soaked in PVA adhesive and pushed into the slots,allowed to dry and sanded  flush.

The weather is too humid for doping but I did manage to get a coat of sanding sealer on while the sun was out,next job is the wing struts.
Barry.

lastvautour

That is going to be a fantastic model Barry.

Lou

Balsabasher

Thank you Lou,its good when they turn out as you want them to.
Barry.

Balsabasher

The Beaver was given a good sand down and the struts made up from popsicle sticks sanded to aerofoil section and epoxied into place,as I wanted to spray the model with high build self levelling primer a improvised spray booth was set up in my wood store shed by just propping up some plywood sides,the weather is awful here at the moment and not really good for spraying and I normally paint outside but the temporary arrangement worked well.
The spinner has been built around the propeller with lots of filing and sanding,the primer has showed up some flaws which will be rectified and filled then sanded before the next primer coats are added,the painting can take weeks to do,building the models is the easiest part !

lastvautour

Looking fantastic so far. I await the final finish.

Lou

Balsabasher

The Beaver had a good wet sand,boring work that has to be done but the ski's presented a new more interesting challenge,these were made from three laminations of miralyte 1/64th ply pulled tight around a simple former then sat on the computer to cure,final result can be seen after sanding,its going to be a ski equipped antartic survey machine so the skis are appropiate.

Barry.

Balsabasher

Fitted the skis,these are ski/wheel undercarriage of which there are several variations some enshrouding the complete wheel,others fit around the wheel so the aircraft can be landed on snow or ice even conventional runways,hydraulic rams have yet to be fitted from bamboo slithers.
Barry.

lastvautour

You are making excellent progress.

Lou