• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Chrislea Super Ace

Started by Balsabasher, September 30, 2013, 09:50:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balsabasher

Yes Cliff I have used the system you describe for wheel retention in the past,the biggest problem is bending the leg with the wheel attached and having to deal with the minimum bend allowing for the pointed pliers and not having a sloppy wheel,thus over the years I have found it better to make it so the wheels are offered up at a later stage,however there is another compromise here by making the legs from brass tube then attaching the wheels via pins into the open extended legs,a good idea is to bend the bit of pin that goes into the tube back and forth thus creating a self locking as the pin grips inside the tube.

In the case of the Super Ace a slot has been cut into the fuselage lower and the pre bent tube sunk into this,the somewhat untidy fixing is some metal filled epoxy that I am using up ! it appears to be aluminium filled,then the top is levelled off with good old filler and sanded flush.

You would not believe that such a simple thing as attaching an undercarriage could be so beset with problems and alternative ideas ? having learned the hard way over the years with flying model undercarriages that bend and twist in those heavy landings ! like yourself it is interesting to try variations on a theme with different new models,I love using pins as they are readily available that is if you can get hold of the soft variety that are getting hard to find these days.
Barry.

cliff strachan

Good grief, Barry, there's lots to think about there. All I can say now is I'll get back to you. But again thanks for being so prompt.

Cliff.

Balsabasher

In my improvised paint booth the Chrislea Super Ace received its first coat of high build primer,we had sunshine today which was a real bonus for the drying out.

Barry.