• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

January 2008 PING

Started by Oceaneer99, January 07, 2008, 11:03:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oceaneer99

We're overdue for the January 2008 Ping, which is a status check on what everyone is working on.  Here's my list:

Actual model projects have been thin for me this month, but here goes:

1/72 scale Photo-Recon Spitfire has all details except tail wheel, awaiting pink paint.

1/72 Simple Scale profile model of a to-be-identified Canadian plane needs a few more coats of white, then detail paint and paper decals

1/48 scale Speed Spitfire: no new progress.  Fuselage is done, but nothing else added.

Comet plans PT-9: still need to finish torpedo tubes

~1/80 scale Lisa Hy-Bird: need to make the decals and paint the canopy.

Plans Projects:

Looking into making a model of a Boeing concept that lost out to the XB-70.

Scanned the entire book "How to Make a Model Navy" by H.H. Gilmore, which I received on inter-library loan. I'm working on getting it into some reasonable format for reference.

Some work on moving plans over to the new gallery from the old SMM site.

Workbench related projects:

Upgraded the workbench computer and moved it out from under the bench, where it was getting a lot of sawdust  -- my 8-year old son got a mitre box and backsaw for Christmas.  The children named the machine "Kalakala" after the ferry.  My wife and I call it Ice Station Zebra because it is cold in the basement this time of year.  Also installed an outlet for the computer and a new T8 fluorescent light fixture.

Built shelves for over the workbench, getting a lot of junk put away and off the bench

Planning a new workbench!  Bought some big 4x4-inch fir posts to make the uprights, but they are green, so I coated the ends with wax and will let them dry in the garage.

Solid Model outreach

Contacted a Seattle-area model builder who showed his solids at the Museum of Flight a few years ago.  He is a retired Boeing wind tunnel engineer.  We plan to meet sometime in January or February. He has built hundreds of solids very much the style most of us are making.

Garet
Seattle, WA, USA

lastvautour

Here is my progress since last December's report.

On the bench

1/32 Sabre  -  wings sanded
1/32 Expeditor -  wing tips and leading edges corrected
1/350 USS Enterprise - hull shaped and sanded, 60% catwalk and defensive armament installed and painted, deck planking scribed
1/32 Hudson - engine nacelles shaped
1/32 Bolingbroke - no progress
1/32 Tutor - some sanding, need to correct forward fuselage shape
1/32 CF100 - no progress
1/32 Ercoupe - sanded and primed
1/32 T33 (dream stage)
1/32 F5B (dream stage)
1/24 BAe Hawk Mk 1 - no progress
1/350 Wildcat - no progress
1/350 dauntless(new one) shaped and partially sanded, assembled with wings folded.
1/96 Tracker - blocked pieces

Individual projects are being updated with photos in the Lou's Projects folder

Lou

lastvautour

Note the date of this past post. Had a few minutes to go down memory lane. Her are the updates:
1/32 Sabre - Completed 
1/48 Expediter - Completed
1/350 Changed to Yorktown Class -completed
1/32 Hudson - Completed
1/32 Bolingbroke - Completed
1/32 Tutor -Completed
1/32 CF100 - Fuselage rough shape, wings blocked shape, tail feathers done
1/32 Ercoupe - Completed
1/32 T33 Completed
1/32 F5B Completed
1/24 BAe Hawk Mk 1 - Refurbished to T-48 Goshawk - Completed
1/350 Wildcat - Completed
1/350 Dauntless - Ten completed
1/96 Tracker - Abandoned

Note that the CF-100 was only taken off the hold list this past summer and is now back on hold. Maybe by the end on 2028???

Lou