• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Century jets cookup

Started by Ken Pugh, December 07, 2008, 11:03:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cliff strachan

Hi Dave,

I carved the drop tanks out of basswood. I plan to somehow place a couple of pins into them so that they may be attached after painting separately.

cliff

cliff strachan

Hi Lou,

Yes it's quite a problem deciding on how to approach carving this model. It is indeed a different aircraft. I've been fortunate enough to be able to view two that are at Winnipeg's airport.

Cliff.

lastvautour

Progress is slow these days. The wings have been faired into the forward intake trunks and rough fillets are attached to the trailing edge. Sanding continues now and then. Anticipate roll out in October.

cliff strachan

Hi Lou,

I think I should address this to you as you've mentioned that you used to work on the CF101B. It still will be a while until I 'm at the painting stage on my CF101B but do you have a paint number to identify the proper grey colour on the a/c.

In passing, do you recall MacDonald Bros @ WG that used to do the maintenance and overhall on the 101 and the Bissett Test Area NE of WG? It was in that area that I actually had a C47 and a 101 conflicting about three times - the C47, as I recall, was flight planned to 23 thousand!!! About forty years separated those two designs! It was a long time ago now - about 1974 - but that's basically what happened.

Cliff

lastvautour

Cliff, Model Master Paints (Testor) has a colour called Voodoo Grey. The earlier versions were either gloss or matt silver and before that natural metal.

Lou

cliff strachan

Thanks Lou, that's what I was looking for. I expect that if the model shops around here don't have it in stock then they'll have to order it - which explains the reason for my early enquiry.

Cliff.

lastvautour

It was a standard colour on the MM Paint display at my toy store. I am sure that the Argus Shop on Portage Ave would have it.

Lou

cliff strachan

Thanks again Lou. I got the paint, from Tiger Hobbies. By the way the Argus shop has been closed for about two years. Hope to post a progress report soon ie before painting and decals.

Cliff

John Bell

Here's my entry for the Century series cook up,... The McDonnell F-110. However I have been politely informed that this duck won't fly, but...it would have about three decades ago!

The 3/16 scale model is completely scratch built, mostly from basswood. I built it for my "S scale" airforce. S scale is a model railroad scale. I like trains too. I'll bet a lot of folks on Solid Model memories like trains also.

John Bell

lastvautour

Nice Phantom/Specter John. Give us a few words on the details of its construction when you find time.

Lou

R.F.Bennett

From what I've read the McDonnell F-110 Spectre/F-4C Phantom II fits the bill. As well as this build. Thanks John, great build.
"The Dude Abides"

Oceaneer99

Nice work, John.  I remember those double-barreled dog whistles (at least the F-4 version) flying over my house in the early 1980s.

cliff strachan

That is a real nice model, John. Especially the paint job and especially the painting of the canopy. And how did you do the wheels? Again, superb.

Cliff.

John Bell

The F-4E model is fairly straight forward. I built the fuselage in six pieces: center section, engine bay sides, intakes, and the portion under the tail. Drop tanks, and wheels were turned on a small wood lathe, while the struts were made from styrene rod. Exhaust is from styrene tube. I did the shading on the canopy by spraying a fuzzy black line on some blank decal paper. Sealed that, and cut to fit. Piece of cake. Decals are from somewhere, I've got so much of that stuff, collected over the years. The scale, 3/16, is very ideal. It is a great scale for building larger models, like my B-17G. One of the problems with multi engine aircraft is getting the engine nacelles on at the correct angles. I have devised an absolutely fool proof method of doing this, and will describe it in another topic.

All take care,

John Bell