• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Century jets cookup

Started by Ken Pugh, December 07, 2008, 11:03:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

Cliff, I sent the CF-101B drawings directly to your email address. Let me know if you new some help. This will be my next model , maybe, perhaps, later or so.

Lou

cliff strachan

Thanks Lou. Got the plans OK. Just printed them out at the library. Man, that is some size. In 1/84th scale, which is what my F86 was done in, this bird will be about 9.5 inches in length!

It will be a while yet.
Cliff

lastvautour

Just picture what my 1/32 scale version will be.

Lou

lastvautour

Ken Pugh

She looks great, Lou.  That's one thing about the Century jets, they all have beautiful lines.

Ken Pugh

lastvautour

The Century Series were indeed pleasing to the eyes. It is hard to choice a favorite, but most time I lean towards the F-100 followed closely by the F-104. Off course having work 14 years on the 101 has a tendency to pull me in that direction at time. My next Century Series bird will be the Voodoo, however that is another story/project. looking at all of theme, I would place the F-100 at the easy end of the scale with the F-101 at the hard end as far as carving goes.

dave_t

Is anyone planning on doing the F-107A?  I'll try starting a small one.

lastvautour

Help yourself Dave. What scale? Have you seen the drawings on the North American F-108 Rapier or the Bell F-109? Each is unique in its own right. I may try the F-108 in 1/144 scale as a wek end project.

Lou

lastvautour

Have you any other EGG plane models?

Lou

dave_t

I just googled "egg models" and didn't realize there were such things out there. My F-107 doesn't exactly qualify, but it's close to an egg shape.

Oceaneer99

The book "American Secret Projects: Fighters and Interceptors 1945-1978" by Tony Butler, has a list of early Century-series prototypes:

NAA YF-100A Super Sabre (flown)
McDonnell F-101A Voodoo (flown)
Northrop N-81 "Advanced F-89"
McDonnell F-101B Voodoo (flown)

and a series of "1954 Interceptors"

Chance Vought V-371
Douglas Model 1245
Lockheed L-205
Convair YF-102 (flown)
Convair F-102A Delta Dagger (flown)
Republic XF-103 (1957 research aircraft)

There are basic 3-views of the following:

Northrop N-81
Chance Vought V-371
Douglas Model 1245
Lockheed L-205
North American Fighter
Republic AP-57 (early XF-103 study)

dave_t

If you were building a model from a basic "project" drawing that lacked details, I suppose you could add features based on equipment found on actual fighter-jets from the same period. Some of the prototype models I've seen look a little too sleek.

cliff strachan

I'm in the Century Jets Cook-Up with my contribution: A CF101B Voodoo. Plans courtesy of Lou.

To date:

Shown is most of the parts cut in top and side view. The wing has been partly carved. Materials are: fin and stabilizer in basewood the remainder in balsawood. The balsa is, to my thinking, too soft but only using Xacto knives it works best. Must be compensated by using lots of wood filler. Scale: 1/84. The drop tanks are also in basswood

Cliff.

dave_t

Did you turn the drop tanks on a lathe or carve them? I like how you carved the wing and intake from one piece.

lastvautour

So far so good. I was wondering how you might break up the pieces  for assembly. I won't get to my Voodoo for quite a while. I keep getting side tracked. Nice work. I await the completion.

lou