• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

The Box Project

Started by davetunison, February 12, 2008, 05:50:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenny Horne

Hey Gang,

I need some help.  I so embarrassed, but I've gotta say I've lost my research.  I've been gong through my stack of half done projects and found this lovely little Mustang I (scroll up for a picture).  I remember when I stumbled across the paint scheme (dark green/ocean grey over black) I thought it looked great for this aircraft.  I seem to remember that it was used as a ground attack weapon until very late in war, stopping only when the spares supply of this early model of Mustang was finally exhausted.  On a 1/144 scale model, I don't need too much detail, though I'd like to know if it say had a yellow leading edge on the wing and simple squadron markings or if it even had lower wing roundels... 

Does any of this sound familiar to you as I have googled every different angle I can imagine and I really can't imagine spending more time on this.  I imagine I have spent twice as long staring into a monitor than I did building her :-(

Take care guys, and thanks in advance if you have a bit of a lead for me.

Kenny

Kenny Horne

Man I don't know about myself sometimes...

So as soon as I posted this I thought "ground attack!  Have I tried that search?"  Well boom there she was.  Honest guys I have been looking for this for hours over more days than I'm proud to admit.  Well call off the search here it is...

http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/2000/01/stuff_eng_profile_mustang3.htm

North American Mustang Mk. I
400 Squadron, Royal Canadian Air Force
Middle Wallop, Hampshire, October 1942

Take care gents,

Kenny

dave_t

I was just about to post this when you replied. Here it is anyway...

http://hyperscale.com/features/2002/mustangicf_1.htm

Kenny Horne

Thanks Dave that was quick :-)

Now that I knew the squadron, I looked it up in this site and up she came again.
http://www.rafweb.org/SqnMark400-407.htm#400

The RAF site is quite a good resource as it has a colour history of all the squadrons through time.  It takes time to go through but it is cool for Commonwealth builders.

Kenny

R.F.Bennett

You mite try looking up the North American A-36 Apache too. It really did have some differences from the Mustang. Cheek guns, air brakes, large upper cowl intake and smaller engine.
"The Dude Abides"

lastvautour

Same thing in 1/32 scale.
For some reason, I must have reduced the size of the picture as it will not give me anthing bigger. I can email you some bigger pictures if you want some.

Lou

Kenny Horne

Hey guys,

I'm not sure if the 400 (City of Toronto) sqdn used the purpose built Apache or for that fact if there were any in the RAF...  It's funny how the early Allison engined Mustangs get no respect, but in fact it sounds as if they excelled at the groud attack role. 

Great looking model Lou, and I'm glad to see it again.  I really should try this  again in 1/32.  It really is a perfect model to my eyes.

Kenny

R.F.Bennett

They had an altitude problem the same thing that plagued the early model P-40's and gave them a bad rep,... no/inadequate  superchargers.
"The Dude Abides"

Flying T

I have a store at Shaw Flea mkt. I make kits of small airplanes in solid wood.I take a nutty bar box with a
cookie tray inside with my current project.people around me want to know what I am doing.a Spad xlll.
FLYING T (AKA. LARRY)

Flying T

this little one is close to actual size and it is on its box. 4 me this is an ongoing project,i started out in 1960 with a kit,something like pioneer, size of a box project
FLYING T (AKA. LARRY)