• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Mosquito: "F for Freddie" Construction Phase

Started by cliff strachan, June 30, 2011, 06:18:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cliff strachan

The above image of the early stages in the construction of my Mosquito "F for Freddie" is given to illustrate an alternative method to affix the wings in Solid Scale. This along with my effort to employ what appeared to be a rougher and more dense piece of balsawood (a topic which I have dealt with earlier) constitute details of construction ,more or less "from the old school", which are only intended to give members something to  think about - and to show again why this old codger has trouble learning anything new.

The required gouging out of the space provided for the wings is shown here.

The right wing is shown in place.

A more completed aircraft but now illustrating the early construction of an engine and the difficulty unique with the Mosquito.

As before.
Photos of tail wheel construction - a required part of this aircraft whether to be displayed in the air or on the ground. And the main  wheels:

cliff strachan

I'm happy to report that "rough" or heavy and very grainy balsa will - after the application of a minimum of 3 coats of SIG Sanding Sealer - come to a fine (to me) finish. That is, the grain is relatively easy to get rid of while at the same time we are able to carve the wood as easily as normal or refined balsa and enjoy a heavier denser model with very little extra work.
Cliff.

lastvautour

Balsabasher

Looking really good Cliff,excellent balsa modelling.
Barry.

Kenny Horne

Hey Cliff,

The Mossie looks great!  Your engine nacelles and all the tiny bits look spot on.  I have a bit of a love hate with balsa.  It is hard to achieve a grainless finish, but it is lovely to work with and seems so perfectly nostalgic.  The last few models I have built, all painted spotter models, have all been balsa.  I have even convinced myself that the hint of wood grain peeking though the finish is a beautiful reminder of the medium that we love working with.

Can't wait to see more photos of your build,

Kenny

cliff strachan

Hi Ken. With respect to balsa you might want to try some balsawood that has been cut closer to the trunk. If you're buying your balsa from a hardware store such as Windsor Plywood out my way, you may want to choose a rough piece to achieve the benefits that I tried to outline. That way one gets all the benefit of the easily carved balsa plus the denser and "heavier" basswoods. Only seems to require a couple of coats of dope based Sanding Sealer to easily get rid of the grain.

You are close enough to Calgary where "F" for Freddie crashed a day after the end of the war in Europe that its history may be of particular significance to you.

Nice to hear from you.
Cliff.