• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

1/72 Strombecker P-80A

Started by Mark Braunlich, February 15, 2011, 01:10:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

Fantastic shine. Is that just the paint  or do you have a clear coat over top?

Lou

Balsabasher

Very nicely done Mark,you have made a lovely job of this restoration.
Barry.

lastvautour

Mark, please place a quarter or a dime in your next photo to get a better idea of the size.

Lou

Mark Braunlich

Lou,
The finish is hardware store enamel.  The only model shop around is model railroad only and it's too far away to bother with.  There is no clear gloss coat on the model at this point.

Here's an original decal sheet, cracked, and on loan from my brother who has an untouched kit.  Needs work to make some homemade decals; I don't think the wing walks should be insignia blue.  Stay tuned.   The serial number is pure fiction and will not be used.

Coins will appear in future model photos.   And just curious, is the Beaufort 1:72 ?

Cheers,
Mark

lastvautour

Yes the Beaufort is 1/72 scale. It needs some reshaping around the top of the cockpit. Most walk ways I have seen are either grey or black unless they were coloured for some special occasion.

Lou

Mark Braunlich

I think I finally have the detail painting done.  I didn't use the kit decals for the walkways or the red outlined "NO STEP" areas over the flaps as the colors for both were wrong so they're painted on.  Have started making decals with mixed results.  Many of the decals come out of the printer smudged as if someone had wiped a finger across them before the ink set.  I have other printers to try, hopefully with better results.

Lou, that's an American penny in the photo which if I recall correctly is the same size as a Canadian penny.

Mark

Balsabasher

It really is coming along nicely Mark,you have done a great job on the walkways,get those decals right as this model deserves the very best.
Barry.

lastvautour

Mark, correct on the penny. All our low denomination coins are the same size up to the Silver Dollar.  Loonies, Toonies are a different thing. Your model is superb. I have a much better idea of the size of your efforts. I am sure you will sort out the printers.  I have two HPs and both give me different results. I had that smearing with just one black cartridge, once I change that one out, it sorted the problem. 

Lou

cliff strachan

Mark, it was always a great model but now knowing its size it is truly remarkable. Nice work!
Cliff.

Mark Braunlich

Just a brief update:

The decals are on the model.  Easily half my time on this model has been making usable decals.  Followed Lou's instructions exactly but with one minor revision....to be explained later.  Much of the time was just finding a color printer that would make usable images.  Lots of decal paper used up but I learned something new. 

With any luck, the model should be finished this weekend after the mowing and gardening chores are done; photos to come.   My back is fully healed and I'm slowly returning to full function.   God bless Dr. Bergandi.

Mark

lastvautour

Mark, any tips on making decals are most welcomed.

Lou

Mark Braunlich

A clear coat of enamel was a big mistake, causing a couple of the decals to bleed.  I tested it on the stand base and the red and yellow Lockheed logo decal there did not bleed at all but it was a problem for the dark blue in the national insignia on the model.  The insignia blue ink on top of the white decal did not adhere to the white very well; chipped off blue being a common problem.  Tried a different printer and got better ahesion but could not get the same, correct dark blue color.  Finally achieved success with a different Epson printer but a full day was wasted making just two decals and the running around between printers.  Also, the ruined decals had to be sanded off and the pearl gray resprayed. So my perfect paint job is no more but this model continues to crawl towards completion.  Stay tuned.

dave_t

I always thought decal application was the last step, but there are probably many opinions on that. The instructions on Tamiya's clear lacquer warns about spraying over decals, probably because it contains a strong, potentially ink melting solvent.

Mark Braunlich

Yeah dave, that's where I should have stopped!  :D

I see 44-85004 once made the cover of LIFE magazine on the day before Japan surrendered.   I have recently noted that this airplane was built without the boundary layer bleed splitters, at least none visible in the intakes.  They were added later to eliminate a surging in the engine that was very disconcerting to the pilot.  Hopefully, the splitter and related ducting were retrofit to the earliest P-80A-1s.  Anyway, my model has them and they are going to stay there.

dave_t

Mark,
     I bought an old model that was partially built. Any secrets to separating the glue joints without breaking something?