• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Vickers Vedette at Gimli 2009

Started by cliff strachan, October 29, 2009, 07:19:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cliff strachan

dave_t

Glad to see the Vedette finished. It looks very realistic.

cliff strachan

cliff strachan

Thanks Dave. Having a heck of a time with this machine. Posted shots twice by accident. The Vickers has its "Beaching gear" so as to service the aircraft on land. It's not retractable as it seems. Hope to have a couple of "flying photos" soon.

dave_t

I never have learned the art of rigging on plastic or wood models. Any tips?

cliff strachan

Hi Again Dave,

My Vedette is completely scratch built so when it comes to rigging that too is an individualistic effort. But from the plan or photos - in this case I was able to have access to the rebuilt real aircraft - one can determine the exact rigging that is required. In the present case I decided to use thread and to weave it so as to end up on the bottom of the lower wing where it would be put through the wood to be attached or tied together - somehow! A challenge nevertheless.

Cliff.

lastvautour

Ken Pugh

With small sized models I like to use music wire, which works if the real wire does not sag.  I cut the wire to fit then epoxy it into place.  I also use adhesive putty to hold the wire into place while one side is curing.  This is the putty you can get to put pictures on the wall.  You can then remove the putty and glue the other end.  My Sopwith Pup was done this way.  With this there is no fuzz on the line, no sagging or tightening over time, and can be stucturally very strong.  You don't have to drill holes unless you have a place where you want it to go into the surface a little.  The link below shows the Pup.

Ken Pugh

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-345

Ken Pugh

Nice looking model, Cliff.  How big is she?

Ken Pugh

cliff strachan

Hi Ken,

The Vedette is 1/72 scale. That gives a length of 5 1/2 inches. I appreciated your advice concerning rigging. Thread indeed has those features. Especially the "hairiness". But I decided I would try it this time as I've got a model that is about 60 yrs old and the thread is still OK.

Cliff.

cliff strachan

cliff strachan

lastvautour

Real nice set up Cliff. I don't have the knack for doing believeable photo shots. My cotton clouds are as close as I can get.

Lou

cliff strachan

Lou, the background for the Vickers shots -  at Victoria Beach where the RCAF and the Vedettes were stationed way back in the latter 20's and 30's - were actually taken at Victoria Beach last summer. I thought it would be interesting if we could shoot models in their historical settings. And the Gimli shot was my old photo of a hangar at Gimli but now, as in everything it seems, torn down.

Cliff.

lastvautour