• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Scale Reference Charts

Started by Oceaneer99, October 09, 2009, 09:15:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oceaneer99

I'm working on some updated model scale reference charts.  Long ago, I made some charts, one for each scale, that converted every 1/16 inch in scale to its full-size equivalent (in feet-inches).

These charts work fine, and I keep one next to my computer for reference, but I found that I usually used them to figure out what scale to build a model.  I thought it might be more useful to have a slightly less detailed chart that would convert prototype feet to model inches in several scales.  Then I can find, say the length of a ship (80-foot Elco PT boat), and read across to see how large it is in different scales:  13/16, 31/32, 1- 3/8, or 2- 3/4 inches, in scales from 1/1200 through 1/350.

I am nearly ready with my prototype scale reference chart, and will post an example sometime soon.  But I did want to ask for comments on scales, etc.

The basic format of the chart is like this:

Scale(ft)1/3501/1441/721/48
11/323/325/321/4
21/165/3211/321/2

I'm designing them so that they fit on normal letter/A4 paper at a reasonable font size.  You are welcome to print them on index cards and use magnifiers to read the chart  ;)  Because of size constraints, I can have about 4 scales and 100 lengths per chart, which I make in two side-by-side sections.

Right now, I have several versions.  The output scale sizes are to the nearest 1/32 inch, though I plan to make metric (mm) versions.  Since so many drawings and books have sizes in feet, I plan to have Feet->Scale Inches and Feet->Scale mm for now.  I could certainly add meters -> scale inches or meters -> scale mm later:

Aircraft:
Scales: 1/144, 1/72, 1/48, 1/32
Lengths: 0-100 feet every 1 foot

Ships:
Scales: 1/350, 1/700, 1/1000, 1/1200
Lengths: 0-1000 feet every 10 feet

I am considering breaking the ship chart into two parts so that I can do every 5 feet instead.

Railroad:
Scales Z, HO, N, O scales
Lengths: to be determined

Does anyone have any improvements or suggestions?  Any favorite scales that I've left out?

The charts will be PDF format, but I have the original Excel file that I could make available to individuals if you have customizations in mind.

Garet

scottzepher

Hallelujah!

It sounds like you've finally created a simple, useable scale reference!  Thank you!

Tom (aka ScottZepher) 

Oceaneer99

Here's Draft 1 of the Airplane Scales Chart.  Any comments or suggestions?