• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Jeff's Models

Started by lastvautour, January 11, 2008, 07:24:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

Jeff, outstanding work on that Cessna 310 as well as all your models. Can you tell us how you get that smooth shinny finish.

Oceaneer99

Jeff,

Thank you for posting all the nice photos of your models on the gallery.  They are really very well done.  Also, you give lots of good hints and tips in the description section.

Garet

JeffH

Thanks for your comments.

To obtain the glossy finish seen on some of my models I use Johnson's Future floor polish (also known as "Johnson's Klear" in some countries) applied by brush after the model has been painted.  I have been using that product to seal decals and blend in paint touch-ups on models since the 1970's and generally haven't had any problems with it yellowing or discoloring.  The only problem I can recall having with it is on the WACO model shown in a couple of photos in my gallery-- the day after I applied the polish to the model I discovered the yellow painted areas had developed a pattern of cracks like a dry lake bed.  That may have been caused by applying the polish before the paint had fully dried.  I usually use enamels formulated for use on models and haven't had problems with them, but that yellow paint was an enamel intended for craft use.  I thought the model was ruined at that point, but after I applied a clear flat laquer to the model the cracked appearance almost disappeared, so the final result wasn't too bad after all.

The Cessna 310 model in the photo with the tools appears shiny for another reason.  After applying several coats of varnish to seal the wood grain I sprayed the model with cheap rattle can gray primer, then wet sanded it with progressively finer grades of sandpaper (I use this process on all my models).  On the Cessna model I used some homemade sanding pads made by attaching a self-adhesive foam material obtained from a craft store to Flexi grit sanding film (an extremely fine abrasive).  I followed that up by polishing the model with a paste compound used for removing scratches from car finishes.  The result was a mirror like shine on the model surface.

Jeff

R.F.Bennett

Yes, Great work Jeff, Would you like me to set up a project board for you?
"The Dude Abides"