• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Cessna 140A Project 5

Started by Gearup, October 11, 2023, 04:28:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gearup

Filling started. As the 140 was a fast back fuselage, the simple flaps ended square to the side of the cabin. A lot easier to fill on this design.

Olli

Sorry for my english

Gearup

Gearup

Major filling done and cooling inlets and carb inlet carved. The Cherokee had a rather more rounded nose than the other aircraft I'm building. The close up picture do show more finessed cleanup of the inlets is in order. But, consider the hole for the prop is only .062" in diameter.

++++Minor detail+++++. This is the Cherokee 140. Now why did Piper name it a 140 when Cessna already had the number. Hmmm. Ill leave the picture here and remake the post to the cherokee page.

lastvautour

That is fantastic Fraser. I never went beyond painting or using a decal for the intakes.

Lou

Gearup

Interesting. One of the first things my eye goes to is the intakes on an aircraft. I guess they are like a nose or mouth on a face, each one is different and characteristic of the person ( or airplane).😀

Fraser

Boomerang

I work on if my eye is drawn to a detail I will attempt to replicate it.

Looking good Fraser

Gordon

Gearup

True for me too. Thanks.
Fraser

Gearup

Proper picture of the Cessna 140A. 

I think for the carburetor I will build it up with silver tape as it does sit forward slightly from the cowl. 
Fraser

Gearup

Showing the completed gear for the Cessna 140A

A .020" wire was run into a 1/8" copper tube as in the Piper main gear, and squashed down. The aircraft is a flat spring steel gear leg, so this worked well. The .062 axel was slipped onto the protruding wire and bent to the correct angle. A solder blob on the joint made for a very strong gear. 

The tail wheel bracket was made from 1/4" brass tube squashed to make it flatter then shaped on the belt sander. It took a few tries to get the geometry right and the piece is only 1/4" long. The tail spring was soldered and will be trimmed later. For scale the tail spring rod shown is .062" diameter.

lastvautour

Gearup