• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Tutorial Novice - Curtiss P-40E/Tomahawk Mk I

Started by lastvautour, January 10, 2021, 02:19:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

This will be a separate cook-up of a P-40 for Michael, a soon to be new member. Once completed, I will join it to the exiting P-40 cook-up.
Anyone else wanting to join in is welcomed.

Lou

lastvautour

These drawings are scaled to 1/48 and placed in MS Word ready for printing.  Assembly will be as per those found in the gallery. As with any project, once printed measure again to see if your printer may have skewed your drawings. Adjust accordingly.

Lou

lastvautour

The SMM gallery drawings have also been scaled to 1/48 in the attached MS Word.

Lou

lastvautour

Here are the 1/72 version.  My excel scale calculator is available for the asking. I will email it as SMM does not support excel docs. Note, input data is in the green cells. Once done I save it as the project name file.

Lou

lastvautour

Additional 1/48 of the earlier P-40B.

Lou

Boomerang

Looking forward to progress shots. Have looked at my drawings and the internet. Have a few ideas but they will have to wait awhile.

Cheers

Gordon

lastvautour

And so the projects begin with Michael on Facebook and simultaneously on SMM while he awaits his membership approval.

FB Post
I/48 will do fine. I purchased a 1" X 6" X 36" for just over $6.00 CDN. I only assume you can get it cheaper in the States. I would have prefered a bit whiter, but that is all they had in short pieces..

Lou

lastvautour

I have made both 1/72 and 1/48 versions. I will also be doing a P-40B on the side in a seperate post.

The first thing after printing the parts is making templates. You may print multiple drawings and paste them directly to the blank pieces of wood when we cut them. It is good to make template. I used cereal box and sandpaper envelops for cardboard.

Lou

lastvautour

Templates cut and ready for use. For those who don't have a power tool, a hand saw will do the trick. You can cut a larger piece of wood in the normal manner, however the smaller pieces are better cut by placing the saw between your knees and moving the wood back and forth. To create slimmer parts, you can do the same with the saw between your legs. The cut is not as clean as a bandsaw or scroll saw so leave lots of wood. The excess wood will be removed with a blade.

Lou

PS The templates are 1/72 with the 1/48 is on the right. I have a box/cover for each model.

lastvautour

I should have mentioned to trace the fuselage outline on the board and cut out two blocks leaving 1/8" on all sides.
Pictures to follow shortly.

Lou

Gearup

Great saw technique for small parts!
Fraser

lastvautour

I was a poor man in my early years so innovative approaches were needed if I was to continue in the hobby. I was 50ish before getting my first bandsaw. Are you going to do a P-40. The P-40 was the first model ever displayed on SMM but that was the old site. Canadian pilots flew it also.

Lou

Gearup

It was good to explore the capabilities of hand tools early on, Im sure.

Funny you should ask about a P-40. I'm going to concentrate on the Banshee for the near term, but here is a P-40 I built for my son back 23 or so years ago. It was from the book The Great American Wooden Toy Book by Norm Marshall pub 1986.

buccfan

The start of another great tutorial Lou, regards Paul J.

lastvautour

That is an awesome P-40 toy. I will add it to the P-40 photo post.

Lou

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/SMF/index.php?topic=1413.msg15337#msg15337