• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Tutorial Novice - Curtiss P-40E/Tomahawk Mk I

Started by lastvautour, January 10, 2021, 02:19:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

Camouflage hand brushed on the Kittyhawk. I use masking tape to separate the upper and lower colours. All else is freehanded. I have also marked the location of the exhaust that can be attached at anytime. My exhausts are currently in the paint shop.

Lou

Gearup

What paint do you favor for hand brushing?
Thanks
Fraser

buccfan

Nice job on the camo Lou, I've got 2 X 3 colour ones to do, regards Paul J.

lastvautour

lastvautour

I lost my template so I had to print another. Regardless, tape the cockpit glass template to the fuselage and apply thin tape to outline the rear glass. Once satisfied both sides are even, proceed to doing the main cockpit area. I have 1mm tape, however for years I cut my own from wider tape. I use to place a lined paper under picture glass and used a straight edge to get consistent width tape. Once all tape is laid go over it again with the handle of a brush or your nail to make sure it lays down properly in all areas. I use flat black paint sparingly to cover the area. Once dry and not before, I use the tip of my hobby knife to hook the tape and remove it. Sometimes touch ups are required so wait for the existing paint to cure before proceeding.

Lou

PS Note the exhausts have been attached.

lastvautour

Curtiss Kittyhawk completed 13 Feb 2021. Marking are home made but could be substituted from the spares box of plastic kit model decals. Details on decal construction is available in out Technique section. As our cook-ups never close, clarification on anything present here is available for the asking.

Lou

Boomerang

Looks great Lou! Well Done!

Gordon

lastvautour

buccfan

Nice Job Lou, well done with the markings, regards Paul J.

lastvautour

Gearup

Looks great Lou! I like the aircraft in the British camouflage.  Well done.
Regards
Fraser

lastvautour

Markings are RCAF 118 Sqn based in Canada during WWII.

Lou

Gearup

Thanks for the clarification on the markings.
Regards
Fraser

lastvautour

RCAF 400 Sqn Tomahawk and RCAF 118 Sqn Kittyhawk are complete.

Lou