• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Retirement

Started by Pete1616, October 19, 2017, 11:32:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete1616

As I see the "welcomes to new members" I think back to (I think 1992) when I stared carving wood. I started carving aircraft in 1993 and have no idea of how many I completed.  I hope the "newbies" will enjoy SMM as much as I have.

Anyway, I seem to have developed something called peripheral neuropathy, a loss of feeling in the feet and hands (so far) and I'm dropping things that shouldn't be dropped and less than steady on my feet.

My final project is a B 24, trying to hold onto the small parts (like the guns) is enough to tell me that, at the young age of 82, it's time to put my knives aside and find something else to do.

I have enjoyed being part of SMM very much and will frequent the site regularly and perhaps even contribute comments.

I will most certainly miss the hobby (some call it artistry in wood)  and am thankful that I can still play my harmonicas....sitting down!

Pete
Pete1616

buccfan

Sorry to hear that Pete, I for one will miss your regular carvings, but glad you will still be visiting regularly and be available to new members with you experience. Best regards Paul J.

FlyingS

Sorry Pete. I am currently recovering from Gillain Barre Syndrome. I temporarily lost control off my legs and arms and fingers. Currently on 450 mg of Lyrica for nerve pain (no fun either). Its been a long recovery time and hit me right in the middle of building my second model. So I know a little of what your saying. with your vast experience you still have much to add to the group. I hope the best for you!

Boomerang

Pete,

Hope all goes well. Good to hear you will drop by occasionally.
I WILL finish of the model blanks you sent over.
All the best

Regards
Gordon

lastvautour

Your comments will always be welcomed.

Lou

R.F.Bennett

Pete, I also deal with peripheral neuropathy and it has made modeling pretty much impossible. I have dealt with it much of my adult life and as it is often progressive had to curtail many activities. I have painful calf and thigh spasms that make walking difficult and I know all to well about dropping EVERYTHING at one point or another. I often warn people of the strange effect that I have on the local gravitational field. I call it "Gravitational Flux Syndrome" and since things take me longer to do since I have to do them with more care there is the "Temporal Flux Syndrome" in my local space. I find Vitamin D helps with the spasms and take Gabapentin for the shakes (Not a Doctor)as well as the "Use it or lose it" form of therapy. Plastic cups and enameled steel plates and bowls my friend. Not the throw away plastic cups but the ones with screw-on lids with built-in straws, don't poke yourself in the eye with the straw, God only knows how many times I have. For hot drinks I use a travel mug with a screw-on lid. Good luck my friend, if you need any advice you can message me here. . .  ::)
XRay
"The Dude Abides"

Model Maker

I had the great pleasure of meeting Pete a couple of summers ago when he asked if I was interested in some pieces of butternut which is one of the wood species Pete carves. Although we primarily see Pete's airplane carvings, he is also an accomplished carver in other areas. Pete showed me birds and decoys which he had carved and shared some of his building tips with me. He and his wife are a tag team, with Pete carving the piece and his wife adding the accompanying paint details. We typically see Pete's models with a natural finish, but Pete's wife is certainly an accomplished artist as well. Pete had numerous carvings on display and also indicated he had given many away through the years. It was an impressive collection to see.

I recall Pete being very proud of a painted carving of the 3 toucan's which Viewsonic use as their logo. The carvings were an exact replica of the logo. He had also sent a carved set to the company and  the company was so impressed that Pete and his wife received a monitor in return.

Butternut has become an endangered species in Canada due to a fungus so I want to ensure the wood which Pete provided me with is used for some special models (Avro Arrow, Canadair planes) at a smaller scale than I am used to working with to ensure the amount of scrap material is minimized. So a little more practice on the larger scale before starting "the specials".

Pete certainly has a wealth of experience to share with us and although he is hanging up his tools of the trade, I hope he will continue to share his knowledge with us Newbies who are just starting into this craft.

-ken

Flying T

you made me feel young at 68.just really starting. finishing up 5 planes close to 1/72. I SHAKE
SOME AND THIS IS MY THERAPY.IT HELPS.  NEED YOUR KNOWLEDGE AND WE NEED THE NEW POSTS HERE GB
FLYING T (AKA. LARRY)