• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Tutorial Novice - DH-98 Mossie - WWII ID Model

Started by 1.JaVA_LGorrit, October 03, 2013, 02:47:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

Jorrit you are ready for the fuselage to wing mating. It is the same as inserting the nacelles to the wing. Take your time cutting the fuselage. If you cut a bit too much, a bit of putty will hide a multitude of sins. I talk from experience.

Lou

lastvautour

Cut from the bottom fuselage up to the line. The two cuts (green/yellow pointers) should be parallel so the plug will slide out easily. Center the fuselage on top of the wing and mark the width of the fuselage. Next line up the leading edge of the wing with the forward location on the fuselage (red pointer).

lastvautour

Following the lines you drew on the wing using the fuselage. Next cut 15mm into the leading edge of the wing.(Red to yellow). Measure 20mm as the center spar of the wing and cut from the trailing edge (blue) to the rear of the spar (green). I hope you are not colour blind!!! Do not remove any sections until we shape the wing.

Lou

1.JaVA_LGorrit

Hi Lou,

I admire the precision in your work.
Yesterday I was trying to start on the cuts in the fuselage and wing.
High blood pressure and trembling hands and what more....
Finally I did it, and I saw my saw wonder off the lines I had drawn.
I have made the correction and calculated how the wing should be done...

lastvautour

Nice job. We will now carry on with the shaping of the wing. Again, similar to the wing we will identify triangular pieces, remove them, re-draw another and remove until we have a rough airfoil shape.

Photo 1 & 2
Start by drawing lines to evenly divided the top and bottom wing areas into thirds.

Photo 3
Further divide the top and bottom wing in halves giving you sections that are 1/6 of the wing's cord.

Photo 4
Note that I have two wings. Next turn the wing on edge and run a line in the center of the trailing edge face, (bottom wing in image ) Move to the leading edge and divided the center line mark by 1/3s and run lines to a point close to the tip. (top wing in image)

Photo 5
This will form a triangle on the outside of the nacelle location that we will shape later using sandpaper. The portion of the leading edge inside the nacelle will be handled separately.

Lou

lastvautour

Remove the trailing edge triangular section formed by the last top line and the line running down the center of the trailing edge face. Remember to leave approx 1mm at that center line to ensure we do not overly sharpen the trailing edge. Mark the center of the remove section in halves and remove the triangular portions. At this point the wing center section fuselage cutout may be removed.

Lou

lastvautour

Photo 1 & 2
Continue removing and re-dividing the upper and lower sections until you have attained a long slopping airfoil shape from the center to the trailing edge of the wing. As you remove wood closer to the wing tip, care is to be taken not to take too much away. Sandpaper will do the finishing work. The bottom surface should be shaved from center to tip to avoid the blade digging in and reverse when doing the top of the wing.

Photo 3
Roll the wing slowly as you shape the airfoil shape on the top and bottom rear halves of the wing.

Lou

lastvautour

Once both wings rear halves are sanded, divided the forward outer sections as shown and remove the triangular sections. Note that we are leaving a small flat surface in the face of the leading edge. When placing the nacelle into the wing, you will be able to see the leading edge shape against it.

Lou

lastvautour

Round off the outer leading edge using the flat bench sandpaper. Roll the wing back and forth to avoid flat spots. Once nicely rounded remove the remaing center section plug. Concentrate the pressure at the section closest to the center wing to avoid taking too much away from the wing tip.

Lou

lastvautour

Next remove the fuselage plug to enable the wing to mate to the fuselage. Some trimming may be required.

Lou

lastvautour

Insert your blade on both sides. Try to enter the wood in a fashion that will make the cuts meet in the middle.

Lou

lastvautour

Test fit the wing to the fuselage. If it is too tight, remove a bit from the wing. If the wing does not sit high enough, remove wood from the fuselage. Bring the top of the wing in line with the line we made between the red and blue arrows.

Lou

lastvautour

Once the fuselage is lined up, remove the wing then take your fretsaw and cut half way through of the wing spar on both sides of the fuselage line as per the photo. Remove 1/2 thickness from the wing spar.

Lou

lastvautour

This should make for a close fit and a solid joint. Now just trim a bit on the fuselage to raise the wing to its proper alignment. Note the bottom fuselage plug is just held for photo effects. Once satisfied with the fit and placement we will work on the radiator extensions.

Lou

1.JaVA_LGorrit

Hi Lou,

Sorry it took a while before I posted an update.
We had an exercise with the air force on Friday and Saturday, so I was away from home.

I am having some trouble to bring the main wing to the desired thickness..
After removing the plug, I made the below picture:

I have a question: Should I still make the wing slimmer or does it look OK like this?
I am wondering because the nacelles do not stick out over the wing...
Or maybe I should be a bit more patient.

Still to do: cutting half way the wing spar to make the tight fit, it looks like it will fit perfect.
I will probably get around to doing this, this evening.