• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Tutorial Novice - DH-98 Mossie - WWII ID Model

Started by 1.JaVA_LGorrit, October 03, 2013, 02:47:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

Here is a drawing tip I use to draw lines on the block shaped parts. It helps when doing the contour shapes.

Lou

1.JaVA_LGorrit

Hi Lou,

Thank you for the clear instructions, they have helped me tremendously.
And I must tell you, it felt like a little bit of magic happened in my shed yesterday:
When sanding the stab and fin, I must say it all came to life a little bit:

Looking forward to what will be next.

Jorrit

lastvautour

That is great Jorrit. The nacelles will be tackled next.

Using the template, mark off the top profile of the nacelle.

Lou

lastvautour

Placing the nacelle against your bench hook or against the edge of the bench, shape the rear nacelle's top profile.

Lou

lastvautour

Turn the nacelle about and shape the spinner. Now we have a square spinner and nacelle.

Lou

lastvautour

Mark the location of the spinner and make a vertical cut into the corner of the spinner block as per the photo. The diagram shows where you want to place your lines. Follow the contour of the spinner as per the video that shows how to make inner lines.

lastvautour

Carefully remove the corners of the spinner taking care not to cut into the nacelle. This is what you should have.

Lou

lastvautour

Using a shape blade knife, slowly shape the spinner as per the video. Click on the image to start it.

Lou

lastvautour

Using coarse or medium grit sandpaper sand the spinner to shape. Small imperfections at this time is not a worry as we will be sanding some more later. Click on image to start video.

Lou

lastvautour

Shaping of the  rear end of the nacelle is next. Note that the template for the nacelle is higher on the outside than the inside of the nacelle. Just mark the inside of the nacelle approx. 1mm from the top edge but do not cut at this point. Take care to flip the other nacelle insuring the marks are both on the inside. That is why I numbered and named the nacelles.

Lou

lastvautour

Using the same method as the spinner, mark the portions of the nacelle we want to remove.

Lou

lastvautour

Once marked, shape the bottom of the nacelle as per the photo. Be careful that the forward nacelle matches the diameter of the spinner. Leave the top of the nacelle for now.

Lou

lastvautour

Using coarse or medium sandpaper, shape the nacelle as per the photo.

Lou

lastvautour

Our nacelles should look something like this.

Lou

buccfan

Great progress Jorrit, you seem to be enjoying the build, I followed Lou's tutorial for my first Airtoon and it was excellent for a novice like myself. Keep up the good work. Regards Paul J.