• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Grumman Hellcat: F6F-5 & F6F-3

Started by cliff strachan, May 18, 2012, 05:48:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cliff strachan

Yes. I have finally finished my Hellcat Project. The first photo that I wish to display is of the Grumman Hellcat the F6F-5 in flight:

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/displayimage.php?pid=7030

The second photo is again the F6F-5 in flight:

In order to show the underside of my Hellcat I was
fortunate enough to catch the aircraft just as it was doing a roll:

The following is a view of an older model Hellcat F6F-3
in the older colours and insignia placements:

A formation of the two versions of Hellcats:

Another fomation:

The F6F-5 at Gimli:

and just another couple of  photos in front of the hangar:

Cliff.

cliff strachan

It is certainly a requirement that I elaborate on my recent posting.In brief, I realize that there are at least a couple of egregious errors - chief of which is calling the Hellcat a Wildcat. But of most serious consequence  is the lack of information that the group should demand:
Scale: the models are 1/90 or 1"= 7.5'
Materials: Chiefly Balsawood.But aluminum wheel pants, pilot's seat and tail wheel. These parts were moulded or formed by pressing light aluminum over a solid carved mould of the wheel pants. Also plastic was employed in the vacuum moulding of the aircraft canopy in the case of one of the Hellcats, the F6F-5. Masking tape was used to replicate a seat belt in the cockpit. In general I'm not totally convinced that the interior of cockpits should be attempted. They may result in a lack of realism rather than the opposite.But then again, when we attempt an older aircraft, where a solid modeller has to do something to replicate interiors, no choice remains. Scale in this instance becomes of the most importance in such a decision. Wheels were of hardwood with pins to assure that they would rotate as in the case of the propeller. I personally have been of the opinion that all movable parts should be made to move, if possible, when it comes to Solid Scale.
Painting: An Aztec Airbrush was used and the paint chosen was Modelcraft Enamel.
Of most importance should be a comment concerning Why I chose this model or aircraft to replicate.More on this later if someone should express interest.

Cliff.

cliff strachan

It is very important to recognize the place of Decals in scratch building. I think that allmost all Solid Scale builders would agree with the idea that Decals can really make a model. In this regard - whether or not my latest submission should "come up to scratch" -  I wish to again suggest that use of Pete's Decal service might be employed more often by members of SMM. All that he requires is that a colour photo and the scale required is received.
Cliff.

lastvautour

Excellent work on the Hellcats Cliff. They look fantastic both in flight and on the ground.

Lou

Will

Cliff,

Those photos look great.  The F6F-3 against the countryside looks particularly realistic.  Fantastic models.

Will

lastvautour

Cliff, copies of your Hellcat have been posted to model of the year post. Again, you did excellent work on these two.

Lou

Peter

Beautifully done Cliff! Both look amazing. I will checkout Pete's Decal Service. Why did you choose 1/90th scale?

Peter

cliff strachan

Thanks All. But to Peter I'll get Pete's exact address if you should ever want some decals. As to why I chose 1/90 scale - guess I really don't know other than I used to try to stay as close as possible to the scales that were available in the old 10 cent kits that I started from many years ago. Also I'm of the opinion that when it comes to Solid Scale one of the attractions of Solids is that we may adopt any scale that we choose.  And to Lou I suppose the Hellcats should also be posted in the Hellcat cook-up album. I say this because admittedly, it certainly has taken me long enough to get around to finishing them.
Cliff.

Ken Pugh

Excellent presentation.  All the shots look great.

Ken Pugh

Balsabasher

The settings are just stunning and beautifully done,well done Cliff for producing such lovely models and presenting them in this way.
Barry.

cliff strachan

And now for what may amount to an apology. Just yesterday evening while in the process of putting away my photographic setup, I reviewed one of the photo sources that I had used. Good grief! Here I had gone and put the undercarriage doors "on the wrong side." Many appropriate words were used but to no avail. The egregious error was still obvious. However it has now been corrected and will be shown properly on the F6F-5 as it was parked outside of the old hangar at Gimli.

My sincerest regrets are extended to all members of SMM. A group such as this which has a record of the highest achievement in the modelling world deserves the best possible.

Cliff.

cliff strachan

To continue, I've rectified the error in constructing the undercarriage doors of my Hellcat the F6F-5 - putting them on the correct side:
http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/displayimage.php?pid=7067

Sorry about the error.
I've also included some 3views on the Gallery which I've always thought should be part of a submission should any members be inclined to want to view sources.
Cliff.

lastvautour

It looks great in front of the Gimly hangars. Do you have a digital copy of your background scene?

Lou

cliff strachan

Hi Lou,
Maybe I can do that. But the hangar,  since I took the picture about ten years ago, has been torn down. And it goes without saying that the photo was taken using a film camera and it might have been developed and enlarged by myself at photography class - another of my many attempts at being at the "wrong place at the right time." - or should it be the other way around?
Cliff.

lastvautour

I will try getting a picture here in Greenwood. Thanks.

Lou