• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Fictional/Prototypical Design Cook-Up

Started by lastvautour, October 26, 2008, 02:44:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

Since our cook-up never close, here is an addition to the fictional cook-up. I started with the Crimson Skies drawings found on line and came up with this.

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-2198
I started last winter and whittled at it every now and then. It is a single piece of pine with the grain running the lenght of the fuselage.

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-2197

Rafael

Oh, my!!!!

That is a wonderful model, Lou!!

Is there something wood can't be transformed into?

Man, the bug really bit me!!!

Rafa

lastvautour

Thank you Rafa. The Firebrand was the basic model I started with in my garage. It was just a piece of scrape wood that I was about to put in the garbage, when the Firebrand just yelled to be released.

Lou

Rafael

Quote from: lastvautour on October 26, 2008, 07:39:39 PM
.....when the Firebrand just yelled to be released.

Yea, Lou. Now I do know what you mean. After this first cook-up I will never see a wood scrap the same again, but a cocooned shape to be released.

Rafa

Oceaneer99

Lou,

One of your "skunkwork" projects?  Nicely done.

Rafael,

The scraps can be a real issue!  I used to be able to throw out small scraps of otherwise nice wood.  Now, I see 1/72 scale in the big pieces and 1/144 in the smaller ones.

Garet

Rafael

That's what I say, Garet. I have been all day at work (thank God I work mainly in the street) daydreaming about wood blocks, cuts, etc. and bought a couple drill bits to make holes more easily. Also, spent some time seeing more tools. In fact I found a Dremel store (unheard of here) where I plan to stock up with new cutting and routing heads.

Rafa

1.JaVA_LGorrit

Great job on the Firebrand, Lou.
It's on my wishlist too, I have been dreaming of making one and painting it in the "HOLLYWOOD KNIGHTS" Paintscheme.

lastvautour

Thank guys. The paint schemes possible with thei type of model are horendous. Let's see, Snowbirds, Blue Angels, etc etc etc.

Lou

lastvautour

I just remembered that this should be posted here as well.

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/displayimage.php?album=36&pos=30
It is almost time for another "What if thingy" to fly off the benches.

Joe

Lou,

You missed your calling--unless you are now employed by Lucasfilm/Industrial Light and Magic.  Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful.

Joe

lastvautour

Thank you Joe. I have made a couple of engine pods, a wing and a messed up fuselage suitable for this cook-up. I will post pictures when thing come together a little better.

Lou

lastvautour

The P-1080 was proposal put forward by Heinkel late in WWII. I found the drawings at Luft 46 web site and decided to make a 1/144 scale version.
I am just fiddling with it every now and then.

Oceaneer99

Wow, you really are the 1/144 master, Lou.  I saw your fantastic Fokker biplane at Ray's and was amazed at how tiny it was.

Garet

lastvautour

Thanks garet. His photos are great, fantastic and even too good. They show up all the faults and poorly sanded surfaces. It show my eyesight is not what it used to be.

Lou

lastvautour

I changed the tittle of this post to encompass fictional (firebrand) and prototype (P.1080) aircraft that did not make it pass the drawing board or production line status.