• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Tools and materials in Japan

Started by K_mars, December 19, 2021, 07:59:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

K_mars

Many unique tools developed during Japan's 215 years (1639-1854) isolation.

Plane
One of them is a plane. Japanese planes are pulled toward the body. Useful for sharpening small wings.

K_mars

knife (KIRIDASHI KOGATANA)
kiridashi Kogatana (cut-out knife) is a single-edged knife. A steel plate with a slanted blade at the tip. A traditional blade in Japan is a structure to match the blade of steel to the ground metal of the soft iron. A right knife is called "KURIKOGATANA". It uses it to cut down concave.

K_mars

Material wood
Magnolia obovata (HOUNOKI)
The wood is strong, light, and easy to work, sought by craftsmen.

K_mars

Marking gauge (KEBIKI)
"Kebiki" is a tool that can draw lines of precise dimensions by making streaks on the surface of wood instead of pencils and ink.

K_mars

Modeling tools are easily available, but the material "magnolia obovata" is difficult to obtain.
The number of solid modelers was highest in the 1950s. The current modelers are about 200, at most 300 or less. The population of Japan is about 126.22 million.

lastvautour

Thank you for the information on your tools and wood. Unfortunately we do not have as many carvers in North America. I would estimate less than 25 active modeler who carved wooden models and not may off those belong to Solid Model Memories, although we try hard to bring them in. Again, than you for your posts.

Lou

K_mars

Lou, I agree with your idea.
I would be happy if I could provide a Japanese easy-to-work "Magnolia obovata" for solid models, but I don't know a good way.

Kenji

lastvautour

My son is in S Korea and frequently visits Japan. I will see if he can get some on his next trip and then when he comes home next summer he can bring it. That is of course subject to COVID rules.

Lou

K_mars

Lou, Great news that your son is coming to Japan. Please tell me that I can help you.