• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Misc.

Started by Mark Braunlich, August 15, 2010, 10:30:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Braunlich

Among the finest solids I've ever seen are the 1/48 models at the USAF Museum.  I haven't been there in about ten years so don't know if any of them are still on display.   Found this article in the December 1960 Model Airplane News about the models and the men that made them.  Some interesting stuff.

Mark Braunlich

The rest of the article:

lastvautour

Thanks for sharing.

Lou

Mark Braunlich

cliff strachan

Now that's sad. A lot of dedication and devotion is entailed in those models. Hope Barry doesn't notice the posting.
Cliff 

dave_t

Collecting vintage kits looks like an expensive hobby and then you can't even build the model without destroying the value! I can buy eight board-feet of basswood for the same $32 or so and carve a whole fleet.

Mark Braunlich

I hope all our American friends are having a great Thanksgiving holiday.

My brother is visiting and were building a flying "solid".  Do you remember the Walter Musciano control line "solids" of the 50s and 60s?  Many of them were kitted by Scientific, usually about 18" span for 1/2A engines.  We're building the Aeronca Sedan from Walt's book BUILDING AND FLYING SCALE MODEL AIRCRAFT.  Our edition is from 1953.  Engine is vintage OK Cub.   The kits, when you find them these days, sell for $60 and up but you don't need the kits to build them if you have solid modeling skills.  Great fun but we're going to have to cut it off soon to eat the traditional turkey dinner.

Cheers,
Mark

Mark Braunlich

A couple of pics of the work in progress:

Balsabasher

Well done Mark ! I have that classic book in my collection as well,I agree you just follow solid model principles,add a few control horns and engine bulkhead and you have a flying solid,over the years there have been many models done in this way,once I built the small Hawker Tempest V from the 'Aeromodeller' plan,this delghtful little model flew like a bird,have a lovely weekend there with your brother and enjoy the turkey roast.
Barry.

R.F.Bennett

I think some of these plans would be welcomed by our members. They are Solids after all.
"The Dude Abides"

Mark Braunlich

Per your request Ray; you can move them to wherever you'd like them in the gallery.

Mark Braunlich

Skyleada Ju-88 plan on ebay

Balsabasher

Quote from: dave_t on September 26, 2010, 02:22:26 PM
Collecting vintage kits looks like an expensive hobby and then you can't even build the model without destroying the value! I can buy eight board-feet of basswood for the same $32 or so and carve a whole fleet.

I just copy the parts onto better quality timber not that I am a kit collector,you are so lucky being able to buy Basswood,the only source here in the UK is the dwindling packs in Hobbycraft stores,they have not had any new stock in three years now,the blocks are offcuts and that is why you often see joined blocks in some of my models to make the most of it.
Barry.

dave_t

I stumbled onto the basswood blocks at a woodworker's store. They are all stamped with "Howard Berger - The Basswood Man". I searched his name and learned that years ago he was surprised at how over-priced basswood was for carvers here in the USA and remembered how common the trees were in his home state, so he went back and started a business selling these beautiful milled pieces. I buy what I can afford, and fairly often, but if I didn't have that source, laminated shelf stock pine would work too. I have been carving a few scraps of mahogany lately and find it is very nice to work with, but the tools have to be a little sharper.

Actually, it's the blocks of balsa that I never see anywhere!

Balsabasher

Most interesting Dave,yes you are right balsa block is getting like hens teeth to locate,my dwindling stock of Standard Motor company Mosquito balsa is nearly all gone,after WW2 they sold off the surplus blocks to model shops,high quality balsa sized around 3 foot by 8 inches wide,as you know they utilised it n the Mossie fuselage with bakelite pegs stuck in with a resin adhesive,the two halves had the electrics and controls fitted then they joined them up like a plastic kit.
If only traditional materials were as easy to find these days,problem is that everyone is buying ARTF instead of building their own,they just crash em and buy another ! I have no model shop within 50 miles now either,all gone.
Barry.