• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Tutorial Intermediate - Vought F4U Corsair

Started by lastvautour, October 10, 2017, 10:29:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

This tutorial was original produced in 2017 with purpose of introducing a new member to wood carving the Vought Corsair. Alas, the member did not continue beyond the first few posts. I have taken the liberty of renaming the post topic and removing those comments that do not pertain to the actual build.

Lou

lastvautour

The basic tools would comprise of a hobby knife, sand paper and some sort of saw. The type of aircraft is secondary in that any model can be done using these instructions. There are 90 basic plans in the gallery at http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/index.php?cat=13

Lou

lastvautour

These are from the SMM gallery and are quite suitable.

Lou

lastvautour

I personally use clear pine boards from my local lumber retailer. On occasion there will be some left over pieces of varying length.   I choose the lightest and straightest grain. I elected to do a late model Corsair.

Lou

Vought F4U drawings
https://www.the-blueprints.com/blueprints/ww2planes/ww2-vought/71815/view/vought_au-1_corsair/

http://www.airwar.ru/other/draw/f4u.html

lastvautour

First thing is the scale you wish to make and then select and size the drawings. I resize on my PC using MS Word program. Once you think you have the correct size, print and measure. Adjustments may be required. Print and reprint until you get the drawings the correct size.
Most of my WWII model are 1/72 and I have just started doing some in 1/48.

Lou

PS Here are a few pictures of my first Corsair in 1/72 scale

lastvautour

Two more pictures. As shown I do a 1 piece wing when ever possible. Not necessary, just a preference on my part.

Lou

lastvautour

Here are the numbers to help you decide. The attached is an image of the scale calculator I use for all my modeling.

Lou

lastvautour

Here are a 1/72 and 1/48 scaled 3 view drawing of the Corsair using MS Word doc.. You have to download to open up. Even with these, measure after printing.

Lou

lastvautour

I have selected the 1/72 scale version of the Corsair. I had neglected to provide a top view in the previous files. I normally print at least two copies of the drawings. I will select the wood and start the project shortly. Like Rick, I also have a to-do list.

Lou

lastvautour

The first thing is to cut out the images and glue them to the wood. I use a glue stick now rather than white glue as it dries faster and does not distort the image. The parts were cut out with a band saw but any saw will do and then a hobby knife to get close to the outlines. I then use a medium grade sheet of sand paper and rub the parts on it to get the final shape.

Lou

lastvautour

Cut out the side profile of the fuselage and replace the paper drawing for the bottom of the fuselage. Do the same for the top view of the wings. Once sanded to shape glue the frontal view to both leading and trailing edges of the wing.

Lou

lastvautour

Cut out the tail feathers approx 1/8 + inch. My first vertical tail was scraped because it was too thin.

Lou

Note all future step text will be part of the attached images.

lastvautour

Step 4

lastvautour

Step 5

Lou

lastvautour

Step 6

Lou