• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Motor Torbedo Boat - Patrol Torpedo Boat

Started by lastvautour, June 15, 2012, 01:21:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

British and Canadians called theirs MTB and Americans called theirs PT Boats. Both served to make torpedo attacks against enemy shipping. They were fast and heavily armed with two/four torpedo launchers and heavy machine guns. This cook-up is dedicated to the making solid models of MTBs/TP Boats either factual or imaginary.

Barry and I have decided to go in on this project. My choice is the MTB Terrier using Eezebilt plans.

Lou

lastvautour

It is pretty hard to realize that Garet's PT-10 boat was made back in 2009 and now resides in my collection.
I believe that this was the first completed PT Boat.

Lou

lastvautour

Another of Garet's fine undertaking was this larger PT Boat from Comet plans. The last post was 16 Sep 2009. Garet, can you let us know the status of your PT-9 Boat?

Lou
PS, I will search our site to see if there are other PT boats lucking about.

Oceaneer99

I made a second tiny PT boat:

Today, my PT-9 looks fairly similar to the photo  :-[, but I have added some of the deck details.

lastvautour

Perhaps this post will encourage you to finish your PT-9.

Lou

Mark Braunlich

One of the great solid boat kits is the Varney 1:64 scale  Elco PT boat which came out near the end of WW2.  I have one, built by my father and in need of a lot of restoration work.  Here's article about another one that got the restoration treatment:  http://www.ptboatworld.com/PDF/Vintage1944VarneyKit.pdf   

Maybe I tackle the restoration of Dad's boat when I get some other projects out of the way.  :D

lastvautour

We will be waiting Mark. Thanks for the link.

lastvautour

The keel has been laid and the hull rough cut. The top and bottom pieces have been glued as there was not a piece of wood thick enough in my stash. She will be a water line ship. The drawings came out to very close to 1/87 scale for a 70ft MTB so I will stick with that. It will make it easier to find a crew as we have a very well supplied HO train department in the local tool store. On line research revealed that Royal Navy WWII MTBs did not receive names but a designation number only. I may have to break that rule when she gets launched.

Lou

Balsabasher

Lou can you direct me to the link for the Terrier plans please ?
Barry.

buccfan

Here you go Barry, download from this page.Regards Paul J. http://eezebilt.tk/Terrier.html

Oceaneer99

Sounds like a PT-9 Challenge, Lou.  Guess that means I'm in for the cook-up!  Pulled out the plans tonight to see what's next.

Garet

Balsabasher

Thank you Paul I have just traced the shapes ready for some template making and then a start soon.
Should make into a neat little model.
Barry.

buccfan

You're welcome Barry. Looking forward to seeing the results. Regards Paul J.

lastvautour

I had the hull block shaped and then it fell to the floor crushing the nice pointy bow. I then turned it over and proceeded to carve the hull you see now. Note that it was dropped again but this time just a minor dent that I hope applying water will rectify. This is the first coat of primer.

Lou

lastvautour

Subassemblies are coming together. I expect to launch within the next two weeks.

Lou