• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Long Distance Flights Cook-Up

Started by cliff strachan, March 30, 2011, 07:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balsabasher

Yes Mark I am familiar with that wonderful insight into Nick Compers life and thank you for sharing it here,I was just thinking to myself by building our solid models how we come to share much knowledge and history behind those men of iron and machines from times past,such a sad ending to his life as well.
Did you spot the solid model of a Comper Swift on his desk ? it seems to be minus the tail fin,no doubt early promotional material.
If you like Mark we can create another thread to discuss this aeroplane and its fascinating engine and history,I think we could share some knowledge on the Comper Swift models we have built. 
Barry.

cliff strachan

Hi Barry,
Your remarks concerning history as it pertains to aviation I fully endorse. In past postings I noted that you had been of the opinion that solid models could be viewed as art. While without a doubt certainly many of the models that our members have submitted I would also tend to identify as art objects, but after talking to someone more familiar with the art world than myself it has been pointed out that art is generally something that has the potential to interpretate the environment or object rather than to be simply a craft. Therefore, it appears that we are left with only history as the group's contribution. Just how we might go about this may be the subject of much later discussion but probably well worth our effort.

Perhaps it's only a function of age but considering all the effort expended in this hobby hopefully some lasting or universal benefit can be realized. As a start we might consider the current Long Distance Flight cook up as the point to begin.
Cliff.

dave_t

I would put my solid model carving interest in the hobby category.

Balsabasher

Cliff some interesting and very valid points made there,I think that there are many overlaps with our solid models,there is an element of social history attached to them as I see it,in my mind I conjure up WW2 when solids were peaking as useful tools for identification and people were being encouraged to get carving,prior to that in the roaring thirties we had Lindbergh promoting aviation big time with his remarkable flight which brought loads of solid kits and plans to the forefront,after the war solids started to decline even before the plastic kit explosion and the well known and equally lesser known kit manufacturers started to vanish,after that as they say is history.
As we build models then our interest turns towards the origin of the particular design,soon we start delving into books and research takes place bringing other aspects such as who designed and flew them ?
I really think that the hobby has survived well considering the other more readily available distractions in model building,old hands like us are bringing out the blueprints from yesteryear previously stashed away in drawers in case one day we may just build a certain type,what SMM is certainly instrumental in doing is keeping old skills alive,not content with mere assembly we yearn for creating miniatures from nothing,some may not understand our motives behind what we do but the end products certainly speak for themselves,one comment I had was 'Do you mean to say you make models from blocks of wood !' I then respectfully point out that any part produced commercially was once a piece of wood as someone had to make that master !
Regarding a way of contribution to history I think you only need to look at the wonderful 'Wings of Peace' web site to see the scope of creating beyond well known subject matter,civil aviation often neglected has much to offer as we well know,by creating interesting cook ups then perhaps we can venture into the more little known subjects,some of these have contributed to aviation history in many ways perhaps not with the glamour of some types but on the other hand can create some interesting challenges in shapes and designs.
We all see it in different ways,some of us are historians come model builders,others are happy just to carve wood into interesting models with no other criteria attached,whatever the main  thing is we all have fun and we all certainly learn a lot from each other along the way,both about the actual technique of building to the history of the subject matter itself.  
Great talkling to you about our love for our hobby and the deeper aspects of it.
Barry.

cliff strachan

Lots to think about there Barry. In the end I believe that, with others, we can only be sure that globally it's a hobby and be thankful for that. (I suppose that I was hopping that somehow we could include in our cook up postings an additional brief offering as to why this particular aircraft was at one time so important so that the general public may also be aware.)
Cliff.

Mark Braunlich

Fairey IIID undercarriage (floats) struts filed from brass strip.   This material often available at model shops that cater to the model railroader.  Makes for a very strong model. 

Mark

Balsabasher

Ideal material Mark and it files up beautifully,you need the strength in the area of floats and pontoons,it also grabs well with thin cyno with a little roughing up of the area to be fixed,available in strips and much easier than making your own with a piercing saw,thats a lovely subject that you are tackling.
Barry.

Mark Braunlich

A couple of photos showing the fabrication of an elevator control horn from a slice of extruded brass angle strip.  The horn was attached to the elevator with cyano, an ideal adhesive for attaching brass due to the copper content in brass which acts as a "kicker".  Final shaping of horn with files after cyano sets.

Mark

Balsabasher

Mark you learn something new every day,I often wondered why brass always sticks so well to wood,now thanks to yourself I know,the most awkward seems to be ply to balsa where a bit of kicker does not come amiss,you can purchase kicker in aerosol form but keep your fingers away if you do not want to weld them together !
Barry.

Mark Braunlich

First photo here shows the floats temporarily attached.  Getting six brass undercarriage struts and the two music wire spreader bars sized and aligned is not a task to attempt when in a foul mood.  I ended up soldering the apexes  of the  "V" struts at the rear of the floats to make it bearable.  All strut lengths and angles were worked out in a temporary fixture.  The block under the port wing is a dummy forward fuselage used in the fixture to hold the upper ends of the six struts.

Model is fitted out with rudimentary cockpit detail in the pilot's cockpit.  Very hard to photograph though.  Still need to install control wheel (Deperdussin control system) and crew members after painting.

Mark

Balsabasher

Mark this is going to be a beautiful model,the idea of the 'slave' component is something often used in the aircraft industry,we once fitted a DECCA navigator and the company supplied wooden components to represent the more delicate real bits when they arrived.
There is only one way forward with a model like the subject that you are building and that is extreme patience,but the end results are alreading showing and your fine skills evident.
Barry.

lastvautour

A fantastic bit of work Mark. Congratulation on a remarkable project so far.

Lou

cliff strachan

A wonderful model,Mark. I especially am attracted to the fine cockpit detail and the very good job that you've done with the ribbing - in itself a difficult and timely process.

Cliff.

Mark Braunlich

Thank you gentlemen.

The tailplane is assembled with just a bit of droop in the elevators as I want to depict the model either on the water or on a beaching dolly.   All timber in the model is basswood and all of the techniques used are out of W. O. Doylend's book Aircraft in Miniature.   The internet was only in it's infancy when I started this build and the only way to learn was from the veteran modelers/modellers or by reading the classic books on the subject.  Oh yes, and learning by error, can't forget that.

Mark

dave_t

I have heard of the Doylend book before, but have never seen a copy. Was he a solid modelmaker?

I like the delicate ribbing you have done on the wings. That is basswood as well, or paper?

Dave