• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Tutorial Novice - Supermarine Spitfire - Where should I start? - An ID Model

Started by Peter, October 31, 2010, 02:31:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

R.F.Bennett

The PDF is in the works Gents, 33 pages so far!
"The Dude Abides"

lastvautour

Peter

Hi Lou,

I haven't had time to work on it until today. I finally cut the wing dihedral and it actually came out pretty good. The fuselage has been slow going but its finally starting to take shape, its finally starting to look like a spitfire!!! I am hopefully going to do some sanding this weekend. I'll post an updated photo early next week.

Peter

lastvautour

Peter

Hi Lou, I have been trying to finish a walking stick I'm making for my Mom for Christmas.

The Spitfire is still sitting on the bench waiting. This could be a court martial offense. But it will get finished.

Peter

Peter

Hi Lou,

Here are some very late update photos. I have a lot of sanding to do still. Which brings me to a question a question. What quantities do you mix together of the Future Floor wax and talcum? I'm a little nervous about this step.

lastvautour

Well done Peter. That is going to be a great Spitfire. I usually put enough just to make a very light paste that will not run but can still be brushed on. Have lots of water to clean the brush. Just future works also but takes to much to fill in the grain. You are doing very well for a beginner.

Lou

lastvautour

Will you have some time to spend on your new hobby during the holidays I would like to see some progress shots if you have some.

Merry Christmas.

Lou

Jim

A terrific tutorial, Lou, beautifully done. There's a lot in this we all can learn from.

It occurs to me that what you've done here is probably 90% of a book you could publish and sell!
And so it goes...

Peter

Actually, you can self-publish books on www.lulu.com I haven't tried it myself. But have purchased several books from them and the quality is good.  I finished my two Christmas present wood working projects a whittled sheep and a cherrywood walking stick. The only thing left on my bench is the Spitfire so Tally Ho!

Peter

lastvautour

Peter, do you have any photos to share?

Lou

Peter

Okay, Talk about adventures in painting!!! I primed the Spitfire grey. Then proceeded to paint it as an ID+ model when I went back and looked at it the paint for lack of a better word, looked like it curddled???? I've never has anything like this happen before or even heard of it happening. So I saneded it down and painted it black. Its not as smooth as it orinally was but I want to move on to the Warhawk.

Thanks again Lou for all your help and patience.

Peter

lastvautour

Nice going for your first. I assure you my first and many many after were not to this standard. Congratulation on your first build.

Lou
P.S. See you in the P-40 build.