• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Tutorial Novice - Supermarine Spitfire - Where should I start? - An ID Model

Started by Peter, October 31, 2010, 02:31:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

I have added one piece to make our Spitfire look more realistic. The front bottom scoop is made as per my drawing and is 1cm long and 3mm wide, Check the photo. I have now added the radiators/coolers on their proper side and will sand the entire model once again using 220 grit sandpaper. Now, using talc powder and Future liquid wax, I mix some filler to apply to the entire model.

lastvautour

Let everything dry completely before attempting to sand. The future talc combination is gooey but will fill nicely if you don't overdue it. While you are waiting you might as well make a stand. I use recycled baseboards and cut and sand before using shellac on them. You can do whatever stand you wish and if you look at the gallery you will find many designs. Note that the previous post has a few pictures of my stands.

lastvautour

Once all sanded, prime to your satisfaction. I use Krylon acrylic primers, grey, white or oxide depending on what I am doing. in this case grey was suitable. After priming check the model for imperfections and add a bit of putty to dent and scrapes and sand lightly. Let the primer dry completely before final sanding. Colour is your choice. Since I do ID + models, I will paint mine dark earth/dark green/sky.  I have photos in my camera that I will post later tomorrow.

lastvautour

Keep the tail wheel off until painting is finished. Drill a hole on rear fuselage to accept it. Check the plan for location.

R.F.Bennett

I'm going to make a PDF file of this and post it as a How-To guide when your finished.
This build would be applicable to quite a few planes.
:P
"The Dude Abides"

lastvautour

I tried to make a PDF but I guess you need the creator program. The site I found offered me 5 free one but I have not been able to figure out what to do.

Lou

Peter

Hi Lou,I'm trying to write this on my Blackberry from work. So hopefully it works. I have a simple Pdf program. If you write everything up in a word document with the photos where you want them. Email it to me as an attachment. I'll turn it into a Pdf and I'll email it back to you.

Peter

R.F.Bennett

I'll take this hit Gents, I have a format I like to follow for the site and the programs to do it with, Just keep up the good work.  :P
"The Dude Abides"

lastvautour

Once primed, you can sand to your heart's content. The photos show the high spots real quick. So sand/prime/sand is the key to a smooth surface. Once you are satisfied with the final sanding, you can paint to whatever scheme you wish. My last coat of primer is dark green. You can add your tail wheel at this point as ID models were matt black all over.

lastvautour

Peter, that completes the build of an ID Spitfire in 1/72 scale. The next post under a new tittle " A Spitfire ID Model Addendum" will deal with going a bit further.

Keep your blade sharp.

Lou

Peter

Thanks for everything Lou. I'm still way behind in my production. But - would never of gotten started in this fascinating hobby without your help. My youngest son has already laid claim to the spitfire to be hung from his bedroom ceiling.

Peter       

lastvautour

If you hit any problems, feel free to contact me directly. My email is in my member's profile.

Lou

cliff strachan

Thank you Lou for the very admirable treatment and presentation with regard to How to Build Solid Models. Hopefully Ray will be able to put it into a pdf file. As I believe not all of our members might be blessed with the space and power tools required, perhaps you may be willing to deal with building solids employing the onetime ubiquitous balsa wood and hand tools such as xacto knives. Particular attention might be devoted to grain sealling and undercoating. I am personally interested in this latter problem and the handling of silver paints. I admit to being reluctant to bring this up but really believe that many of the group or potential members are not so well equipped. Thanks again for the wonderful tutorial.
Cliff.

Peter

I agree with you Cliff. One of the main things that was holding me back from trying my first model was a lack of what I thought were proper tools. I have mentioned this Forum on several Yahoo groups that I belong to and lack of having power tools is a common concern.

Peter

lastvautour

OK. my next model will be balsa and a tutorial will be made using only the basic tools.

Lou