• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

WWI Cook-Up

Started by lastvautour, October 21, 2010, 06:18:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cliff strachan

Hi again gang. I guess I really was putting forth the idea that we should explore the possible advantages of scales that are not at all "standard" -  other than 1/32 and the like.

Moved to general category.

Lou

Mark Braunlich

Dave,
Here's HD-1 at Pensacola; one Bureau Number higher than the one on your model.   Did they really have "British" roundels on USN aircraft at that time?

http://www.aero-web.org/museums/fl/nmna/a5625.htm

Mark

dave_t

It looks like my gray is pretty close then. I have seen models of the HD.2 with red/blue/white and red/white/blue roundels. I would rather use the "American" markings on mine. http://www.history.navy.mil/faqs/faq2-1.htm

dave_t

With the Hanriot, I was lucky with the cabane struts as they create a pyramid shape, meeting at the center line of the upper wing. This made it easier to align the wing for glue-up. I drilled small holes, indentations really, where all of the struts sit in the wings and fuselage, then after the wing glue has dried, measured the distance between holes with dividers and cut struts a little longer than necessary.

lastvautour

Looking good Dave, real good. I screwed mine up a bit and had to back tract some. Now I am having to place the windscreen in place with the top wing glued on. I have taken a few photos but will wait until I am finished just in case I have to tear the thing apart again. Yours is looking fantastic so far.

Lou

lastvautour

Time to post some pictures. The aircraft is complete except for fuselage decals and tail number. Those are drying as I am typing. I will wait for the final shots once the remaining decals are on. the last pic is a teaser and would not show the fuselage or tail markings.

Lou

lastvautour

My Spad has been completed and sent to the Eastern front to do mock fighting with a captured DR1.

Lou

Mark Braunlich

cliff strachan

Very nice models Lou. But also some very nice and very realistic settings not to mention photography.
Cliff

dave_t

The float assembly is finished and ready to attach. I am painting the roundels and fin flash by hand, building up thin layers of paint and working on a color match.

lastvautour

Looks fantastic Dave.

Lou

dave_t

Floats attached. I need to carve a machine gun or two, a pilot, an engine and a prop. There is supposed to be a windscreen too.

lastvautour

looks fantastic just as is. I am sure the addition of the prop/engine will make it even better.  I look forward to placing it in the Model Of the Year folder.

Lou

dave_t

Carved a pilot, prop and machine guns for the Hanriot fighter. Also assembled a small rotary engine. All will be painted before attaching them to the model. Photos attached...

lastvautour

Your work makes mine look infantile. Awesome, keep it coming.

Lou