• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

WWI Cook-Up

Started by lastvautour, October 21, 2010, 06:18:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

Very nice going. Photos were taken but hey are downstairs in the camera. Some will be posted tomorrow. While shaving the trailing edge too much came off which made the wing  chord to short. And after I had files the scallop trailling edge at that. Oh, we now have two bottom wing and a new top wing. Not much going to happen tonight since the Mrs and me have darts. Being statistician, one has to show up!!!!!

Lou
PS Check this out dave.
http://www.wwi-models.org/app/sbj/srch/Macn.php?action=uModelList&subjId=173

dave_t

Lou, thanks for the link, it helps with the colors. Late last night I decided to do all of the fuselage painting before attaching the floats and upper wing. Photo attached.

lastvautour

Sounds like a great idea. I have reconstructed the top wing but need to slim it down some more. The bottom with is down 1.5mm while the upper is still at 2.25mm. That small amount sure shows up when you put them in place. Photos to come.

Lou

cliff strachan

Very nice model Dave. But you guys are sure working in small sizes. Good luck. But perhaps as we are working in solid scale it would be to our advantage  to investigate alternative scales. It's very difficult to add  detail to such small models. And do we really need to emphasize the aircraft's size relative to the modern equivalent? Perhaps in between scales should be considered. Or even larger  scale.  All matters to be considered but, as we are in solid scale, and can do anything we wish there are an infinite possibilities.

Cliff.

lastvautour

Cliff, maybe our next WWI cook-up can be 1/48 or 1/32. uuummm a DR 1 in 1/32. That is for another day.
All parts have been cut out since the photo was taken The second photo is my struts at approx  .010 in thick or should I say thin.

Lou

lastvautour

Oops, only the second photo showed up. Here goes again.

Ken Pugh

Actually, Ray stated the cookup is any Allied biplane in any scale.  Lou had 1/72 in mind when he suggested but that is not the cookup mission statement.  So, build whatever scale you like!

Such a small scale is difficult for detail but how much really exists at this scale.  They are used in wargames and look quite nice.  This scale would be excellent for cranking out a bunch of low detail planes that are easily hand-painted.

I am really hooked on 1/32 scale for WWI.  That is the scale of my Pup and I plan to build more in the same scale for comparison.  I would like to build a bunch in 1/72 as well, though.

Ken Pugh

lastvautour

Sorry for the misleading info Cliff. Senility set in.

Lou

Mark Braunlich

Great pics guys.  You guys are tempting me to jump in; as if I didn't have enough projects.  Dave, the Hanriot looks fantastic.  The cowling looks good enough to have been turned on a lathe.

Lou, in your last photo of the SPAD components, what's the stick in the center of the grouping?  Wheel turnings?

Cheers,
Mark

lastvautour

The stick is the wheel and axle assembly carved as one piece. It makes it stronger that way.

dave_t

I shape the cowling as an octagon first, then carefully pare down the corners. On a model this small, I can put the roughly rounded piece through the appropriate sized hole on a draftsman's circle template, where it acts as a guide to find the high spots.

The lathe idea sounds not to bad!

dave_t

Stayed up late again and after some primer, a few quick blasts of Tamiya Sky Grey and Testor Aluminum. I am trying to hand paint the letters.

lastvautour

Looks fantastic Dave. The aluminum cowl caught the proper shine and texture. Congratulations on some fine lettering also.

Lou

lastvautour

For those wanting to join the cook-up, here are a few profiles of WWI (and others) aircraft.

Lou

http://www.cbrnp.com/profiles/quarter1/index.html

dave_t

Judging from that link, the Bristol Scout looks like it would be a fairly easy build.