• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

WWI Cook-Up

Started by lastvautour, October 21, 2010, 06:18:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

Ray, please define the parameters for a WWI build in 1/72 scale. Dave and I will start one. See Dave's comments at http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/SMF/index.php?topic=255.15

Lou
PS. I have already put of feeler for WWI ID models. We see mention of them but no photos yet.

R.F.Bennett

Did you mean WW1? If so here it is, Allied Bi-plane Fighter any scale. In service during World War One. That leaves us plenty of room for future WW1 builds. As far as I know there are no ID or Spotter plans for such aircraft. Look in the gallery under Kit plans or use the search feature. Do I have a Second?  :P
"The Dude Abides"

lastvautour

Sorry Ray, just one too many I. I'm in. 1/72 scale model to be determined.
I am still looking for WWI ID models.
Lou

R.F.Bennett

A WW1 Allied Fighter Cook-Up has been proposed and seconded, Here Cook-Ups never end...   ;D
Let the chips fly Gentlemen!  ::)  :o  :P  ;D
"The Dude Abides"

Ken Pugh

And my next WWI project was going to be a Sopwith Triplane!  Oh well, guess I need to build something alongside it.

Ken Pugh

lastvautour

It seems that the folks at WWI did not have actual models to educate their pilots and ground gunners but relied on drawings only. I will keep trying to find out but it does not look good. I will be doing mine similar to my DR1 with colour and decals.

Lou

dave_t

I will give the French Hanriot HD.2 in 1:72 a try. The U.S. Navy flew them in 1918.

lastvautour

I selected the Spad VII as my subject. As far as anyone knows, there were no recognition models as such during WWI. All they had were drawings of profiles and maybe models done by soldiers or airmen during their spare time. The Spad in 1/72 has a mere 10.86 cm span and  fuselage measuring 8.55 cm.
The drawings have been scaled and printed. Wood selection will start shortly.
Lou

dave_t

lastvautour

Dave, have you looked at how thin those wings are? I have the fuselage roughed out but that is all so far.

Lou

dave_t

The wings on my drawing are around 1/16th of an inch thick.

lastvautour

Same here. Luck has it that my local hardware store gives out nice hard basswood paint stir sticks. They have a built in curve to them and are just about 1/8 inch thick. I bit of sanding on the belt sander and some more by hand should result in a pretty nice looking wing(s). Other than the fuselage, the basic pieces are cut out but not shaped yet. The undercarriage was my main interest this afternoon, but I got called away.

Lou

dave_t

I glued up a small block for the fuselage today and will cut it out tonight. Except for the round cowling and the headrest fairing, the cross-sections look square.

lastvautour

dave_t

Progress on my WWI cook-up entry. Stayed up late last night...