• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Tutorial Intermediate - Douglas DC-3/C-47 - WWII ID Model

Started by lastvautour, November 02, 2013, 10:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

Although most USN ID models were 1/72 scale, some of the larger aircraft were done in 1/144. Jeremy and I will make a 1/144 scale version.

Lou

Patterns http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/displayimage.php?pid=977&fullsize=1
Plan http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/displayimage.php?pid=976&fullsize=1

Peter

Your a busy man Lou! After the novice airplane builds are you interested in doing the same with a waterline ship model?

Peter

lastvautour

High Plains

Lou, thank you very much. I really appreciate you willingness to provide guidance. If we need to wait until you are done with the other two builds, I'm happy to do that.

I will review the tools that I have. I think I have everything I need to build this.

Jeremy

Balsabasher

That will make into a neat little model subject.
Barry.

lastvautour

Jeremey, what do you have for tools and wood.

Lou

buccfan

You'r in great demand Lou, I think your tutorials will have to be renamed Loutorials. Regards Paul J.

Balsabasher

Or how about  'Vatourials' ! great material by any name.
Barry.

High Plains

Lou,

I printed the plans and they size out ok.

Tools I have:

• Backsaw
    • Coping Saw
    • Razor Saw
    • Xacto #11 knives
    • Xacto woodcarving knife
    • Sanding blocks and sand paper
    • Chisel (needs sharpening)
    • Dremel
    • Microlathe (inherited from Dad, don't know how to use it)
    • Rasp
    • Woodburner
    Other misc. tools that I'm not sure are relevant.

Wood I have

• Construction grade pine (2x4's)
    • Basswood
    • Dowels of various sizes
    [
    Jeremy

lastvautour

Thank you Jeremy. Have you printed the plan yet. Note that all measurements given will have to be halved for 1/144 scale. I will be the first to admit I have messed up many, many time before getting the right dimensions. I have the plan ready and think I have enough basswood to do this project. I purchased an 8 foot plank over 20 years ago and am down to the little bits and pieces. My current medium is clear pine.

Lou

High Plains

Peter

Hey Lou,

When you have some time can you email me the plan as well. After the Hampden maybe I'll putter along behind you guys.

Peter

lastvautour

lastvautour

First thing is making the templates. I make more whenever I need them. I have also selected the pieces of wood that I will use. In this case it is all basswood. The templates are glued to cereal box cardboard and once dries I will cut them out using scissors and a hobby knife. I prefer using a hobby knife and a metal ruler to cut the straight parts such as the trailing edge of the wing.

Lou