• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Tutorial Novice - DH-98 Mossie - WWII ID Model

Started by 1.JaVA_LGorrit, October 03, 2013, 02:47:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oceaneer99

Jorrit,

It's fun to watch you participate in the novice build!  I especially enjoyed seeing your "hout-dragende fiets". I once made a small carving with wood from a cheese crate I found discarded after a farmer's market in France.  It had tight grain and was easy to carve, but my model smelled like brie!  But the Dutch cheese I've seen in places like Gouda just comes in those big wheels, with no wooden crate.

Beste,
Garet

lastvautour

Photo 1
Place the saw securely between your feet, knees or vice and work the wood back and forth. Watch out for your fingers as the stationary saw will cut a moving finger quite nicely.

Photo 2
Mark the direction of the grain

Photo 3
Cut down the other side to create somewhat of a block

Lou

lastvautour

Photo 1
Remember the slope of the grain

Photo 2
Find the slope of the grain and place the top template of the fuselage where the grain wavers least.

Photo 3
Using the previous method with the handsaw, cut down the excess wood

Lou

lastvautour

Photo 1
Mark off the width of the fuselage top view template. Go all the way around.

Photo 2
If the wood is hard, take just a 1/2 or 1/4 of the blade to remove a bit of wood at a time working your way across the piece.

Photo 3
When(if) you hit an area where the grain changes direction, angle you blade sideways and take your time going over that section.

Lou

lastvautour

The block is now the thickness of the fuselage viewed from the top. I located the side view where the wood was least damaged and had the best grain.

As there is no rush, I will stop here for now as I need a nap. At my age, even if I get a decent night's sleep I occasionally still need my nap. Jorrit, take your time and when ready to proceed, do so at your paste, This is your build and you should not feel you need to keep up. It is I who must feed you only as much info as you currently need. So far you are doing great.

Lou

1.JaVA_LGorrit

Hi Lou,
I have a nice block for the wing now.
It is 2 cm thick and square.
Should I saw out the contours of the wing with my fretsaw? Or wait with this step?
If yes, should I follow the lines exactly or leave a margin for error.
I have a similar block with the fuselage drawn out on it.
This is 3.5 cm in thickness and I can't really use my handsaw as I can't manage to saw a straight line with it as it has a tendency to go to the left.
Do you have another suggestion how I can reduce the thickness?
Should I start using a chisel at this point.
Sorry if the answers to my questions are obvious, but I am complete newbie to this. I dont even know how I am supposed to handle a chisel.
Thanks again,
Jorrit

lastvautour

Hi Jorrit. You may start using the chisel to reduce the fuselage block.  Just go slow to reduce heartaches.  The wing can be cut to the outline at this point. I have been concentrating on the fuselage but will go to the wing tomorrow.

In using the chisel just lay flat on the piece of wood. The bevel should be up. Now lift the handle just 1/8 of and inch and push forward about an inch. You should get a small curl. If you do not have a bench hook, place the piece of wood against the bench and hold it in place with your stomach. Start at the end closest to the bench and remove a small amount working your way back on the piece of wood. If the pushing is quite hard to do, reduce the amount of wood the blade cuts by just using 1/4 or less.

There are no bad questions Jorrit. I appreciate you wish to do this right.

Lou

lastvautour

If you have not cut the wing out, always leave a bit for error when using any saw.

Lou

1.JaVA_LGorrit

Quote from: lastvautour on October 13, 2013, 11:30:04 AM
If you have not cut the wing out, always leave a bit for error when using any saw.

I am about to start on it right now.
It has been raining here for three days straight now, a perfect opportunity to spend some time in the shed on this drowsy sunday.

This is where I am right now:

Do you have a suggestion on what my next steps should be?

1.JaVA_LGorrit

Quote from: Oceaneer99 on October 11, 2013, 11:10:20 PM
Jorrit,

It's fun to watch you participate in the novice build!  I especially enjoyed seeing your "hout-dragende fiets". I once made a small carving with wood from a cheese crate I found discarded after a farmer's market in France.  It had tight grain and was easy to carve, but my model smelled like brie!  But the Dutch cheese I've seen in places like Gouda just comes in those big wheels, with no wooden crate.

Beste,
Garet

Hi Garet,

Thanks.. I am so grateful you brought me to this forum.
I would not have imagined to ever learn the trade of solid wood modelling.

And yes, the fiets :-)
We do everything on the bicycle here.
From home to work on the bicycle is 10 km... takes me 30 minutes on the bike.
Or I could take the car and be stuck in traffic for an hour and a half.
Easy choice to make!

lastvautour

Lets work on the fuselage a bit more. Relocate your side view closer to the edge of the wood. Mark a line through the fuselage and continue the line all the way around. Mark the location of the line on both sides of template and position the template on the other side. You should have both template aligned with each other.

Lou

Misses calling, be back in 1/2 hour. Maybe.

lastvautour

The last post will place most of the excess wood on one side of the block we want for the fuselage. Using your hand saw, do the hold the saw move the wood trick to slice the wood.

Lou

lastvautour

When you get half way through the wood piece, turn it around and do the second half. It takes time but not as much time as chiseling it our from both sides. When you have removed the excess, post a picture.

Lou

PS Ignore the marks on the wood.

1.JaVA_LGorrit

Made some progress by using the chisel on the fuselage to remove some excess wood.

Also sawed out the wing with the fretsaw, leaving a margin of 0.5 cm.
Probably will have some muscle pain tomorrow  :D

As the handsaw does not work straight, I will use the chisel some more on the fuselage part.
It is nice to practice this skill likes this.

Not sure if I am doing it right, but at least I am having fun

lastvautour

Just keep taking a bit off at a time and dream on. This is the best time of all. The planning of the next step and sometimes thinking of the next project. Each model will teach you something for the next one or the next 100. Enjoy.

I will wait until you have the fuselage block within a few mm of the line. Post lots of photos.

Lou