• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

1/48 NIEUPORT 11- Commenced 18/4/16 . Completed 30/07/16

Started by Boomerang, May 04, 2016, 12:40:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boomerang

Following on from the PONNIER I've started a Nieuport 11.

Similar construction. This time I've used doped tissue over the doped cotton thread on wigs and tail.
  Two coats of grey primer , then sanded back , another two coats and then two coats of white(fine).

Fuselage is split down middle with red acrylic paint to maintain centre line and red marks to align fuselage.
  Cowling is 4 laminations of 1/16 balsa ( all at 90 degrees to each other )on a 1mm ply circle. Started using the rotary tool.

Basically will get it all in a kit of bits and put it together.
  Just to be different I propose to do it in  Belgian colours.

Cheers

Gordon

Kenny Horne

Looks great Gordon. Will watching this thread with interest. Biplanes are magical.

Kenny H

Boomerang

Thanks Ken.

They are indeed magical. I've got several ideas for  future builds .
My son and I are collecting the Windsocks that come up on EBay occasionally.

Cheers
  Gordon

lastvautour

Another promising project. Looking forward to the photos.

Lou

Biggles

John 15:13

Boomerang

Boomerang

I've cleaned up the cowling and  made the engine cylinders.
  Need some more work on fuselage- Shaping the front and adding the cowling side cheeks.

Once I'm happy with that I'll think about sticking the two fuselage sides together .

Cheers

gordon

Boomerang

Still intend to finish this off as a Belgian aircraft with the makers number "N3" on the rudder
  Was working hard on doing the finish as clear doped linen. I've purchased some Blue Rider  decals ( from ebay) which I will use. One of the aircraft in the set of three serialled 'N3"   and is basically all silver doped. Before purchasing I checked the net more deeply and found the following.  "N3 " is the first picture in the link.
  Off to the hobby shop tomorrow for a can of silver/aluminium.

http://www.belgian-wings.be/Webpages/Navigator/Photos/MilltaryPics/ww1_precurseurs/nieuport_11c1.htm

Cheers
  Gordon

lastvautour

Boomerang

Progressing slowly.
  Everything except the engine and tail skid have been completed.

Working out the "simplest and easiest method of putting it all together".

Lewis gun and mount have been done with some small  refinements to be completed.

Cheers

Gordon

buccfan

very nice detailing work Gordon, keep it up, you're keeping us all going at the moment while Lou is in moving mode.  Regards Paul J.

lastvautour

Beautifully done.

Lou

8 days to moving day.

Boomerang

Thought I'd put something up. It's been a bit quieter than "normal".

Most of the bits have been made. Just a question of putting it all together.

That leaves the Comet and X-28. All three are progressing . Do something on one, then the next and so on.

Hope the move goes like clock work Lou

Thank you Paul.

Cheers

Gordon

Boomerang

Managed to get some extended time on the Nieuport .

Had made a jig to do the struttery but in the end did not need it as when it was all held dexterously in one hand the other 
was used to open the tube of super glue and success was achieved.

I saw a picture in a random model magazine a few weeks ago with somebody rigging a biplane.

So left the top wing off and have done the rigging with the minimum of teeth gnashing.
Home made decals added to bottom of top wing.

Picture to follow.

Cheers
Gordon

Boomerang

Herewith the pictures.

Cheers
  Gordon