• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

The not so common clothspin

Started by lastvautour, July 16, 2010, 11:13:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

I have been mulling making a thread about clothespins. We all have them(assumption) and over the years I have modified them to fit more applications than just put cloth on the line. The next series of pictures show what I have done to date. Some of these tips have been copied from various sources, some are mine. Feel free to add to the list.
The standard wooden pin and the reversed equivalent will greatly enhance the useability of the pin.
Adding sand paper to the inside of the jaws will great increase the holding power of the pin
The trimming of the inside tips will give you a much increase jaw size

The width of the tipscan be adjusted to what you need.
I was tired of having to clean over spray from my hands while spraying parts that needed to be held while spray painting so I glued the pin to a stick.
Parts can be held easily.
I insert straight pins into small pieces to facilitate holding them
The clamping of some foam flooring underlay materiel makes a cheap disposable varnish/stain applicator.
There are probably many more thing that can be done to assist the hobbyist. These are my suggestions.

R.F.Bennett

And they're really cheap too. . .   ;D
"The Dude Abides"

cliff strachan

I have to remind everyone  of this one. Years ago. Really many years ago. In one of the Mechanics Magazines they suggested that you could use a large hairpin - bent in a particular fassion and secured to the side of your workbench - as a sort of "bench vise" for modellers!
Cliff.

Oceaneer99

Lou,

Excellent post!  I have one style (reversed, like yours) that I use most often, but I have another one that holds my little paint vials so they don't tip over.  But the sheer variety of clothespin clamps that you have come up with is stunning!

One thing I have found that is helpful: I paint each style of clamp with a different color so that I can tell them apart, since I'm usually reaching for them with one hand as the other is being glued to the workpiece.

Garet

lastvautour

Colouring is a good idea. I will have to re-apply colours often as most of my rattle can business is grey primer.

Lou

Oceaneer99

Yes, I have some grey ones, too.  ;)

dave_t

Great subject. I inherited a bag of clothespins from my aunt's estate and have wondered what to do with them. They probably aren't that common in homes today as it is frowned-upon in many places to hang laundry outdoors.

Now to put them to good use.

lastvautour

Thank you Dave. I never thought of gluing sticks to make the jaws longer or using them as a holder for dowels in a vise.

Loy