• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Bow Sander

Started by Model Maker, November 09, 2016, 05:17:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Model Maker

I came across pictures of bow sanders a while ago. It doesn't seem that you can buy them but there are a myriad of DIY designs on the web. I opted to try my hand at making one as they seem to be great for sanding curved contours such as wings and fuselages by simply adjusting the tension of the sandpaper. I played with the size a little bit and opted on a design which incorporates a 9" long section from a 1" x 30" sanding belt. The 9" length allows  3 pieces to be obtained from a belt after cutting away the splice.

Having tried it on a scrap 1/40 scale fuselage it doesn't seem to be too big, so I would assume the size will work for models 1/48 and larger. In any event, the design can be scaled smaller if required. I've incorporated an integral tote at the front, which allows for more directional control and less pressure being applied at the handle end.The design feels quite comfortable and there is sufficient material to allow the sizes to be modified based upon your hand size.

I've attached a set of plans (just above the first picture) for those who may be interested in trying one out. The design is based on using a 2" x 3" scrap piece of lumber. I cut the shape out using a bandsaw, but a scroll saw and circular saw (for ripping to a 1" thickness) could be substituted. Remember to properly clamp the 2x3 to a work stand if using a circular saw. There is nothing magical about any of the dimensions so feel free to modify to suit.

Photo 1 shows the bow shape penciled on the 2x3 and the radius hoes cut out
Photo 2 shows the bow sander frame rough cut
Photo 3 shows the bow sander frame sanded along with clamping pieces
Photo 4 shows the completed bow sander.
Photo 5 shows a set of 4 varnished and ready to be used

They are simple and easy to make. If you like the idea, maybe cut out 2 or three - one for each grade of sand paper you use.

R.F.Bennett

"The Dude Abides"

lastvautour

Great! Thanks for posting.

Lou