• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

WWII ID Models

Started by Kenny Horne, February 24, 2008, 07:49:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

Another superb model by Dave.

Lou

Jim

Here's two views of my B-24D, made from the I.D. series plans.
And so it goes...

Boomerang

Well done ! Looks great.
  Gordon

lastvautour

Love the way it turned out. What type of wood did you use?

Lou

Ken Pugh

Very cool, looks like a good technique for a Constellation model.

Ken Pugh

dave_t

Very very nice. The stand is great too. What do you think of those ID plans after making one?

I think Lou did a laminate model one time with alternating colors.

Jim

Thanks for the kind comments. I used basswood, walnut and mahogany for the model and the stand. The base is just a simple pine one from a crafts shop. They stopped selling them, so I make my own now with a router.

I like the I.D. plans very much, and I'm grateful that they've been made available here.

I'm guess I'm not a slave to scale. I like to re-size them. As several people have noted, some of them need to be doctored a bit here and there to make up for wartime inaccuracies, but by and large they make wonderful form studies, and they lend themselves well to artsy flourishes like laminations and exotic woods. I've made quite a number of them that way. I'd be glad to share some photos of them. Should I post them here? I don't have a gallery board. If the administratrors could set one up for me, I could do it there. Whatever's best...

And so it goes...

R.F.Bennett

I'll set something up for you, It will take me a few days though. I'll email the details to you.
"The Dude Abides"

Jim

Many thanx. I'll look forward to it.
And so it goes...

Jim

...In the meantime, just to keep the discussion rolling, here's two more photos of an ID model:  The Grumman F3F-2, done in poplar, purpleheart and walnut...
And so it goes...

lastvautour

Awesome modeling. Thanks for posting for us to see. I will place the image in the Model of the Year post.

Lou

cliff strachan

Your Grumman is really something ie great.
Cliff.

Peter

Wow your models look very cool and are inspirational.

Jim

Thank you all for your kind appreciation. Now that Ray's kindly established a "projects" board for me, I'll post some pictures of my other models there.

Merry Christmas, all!

jim
And so it goes...

lastvautour

Two more excellent 1/72 WW II recognition models from Dave. The aircraft are superb representations of the Nomad and Texan and feature excellent workmanship and finish. Congratulations Dave, you are a master model maker.

Lou