• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Air-Toons

Started by lastvautour, August 21, 2009, 12:36:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

Decals for the Spanish Hornet roundels came from an old ESCI aftermarket sheet that has been laying around for over 25 years. The decals are brittle but workable if you are careful. All other decals are home made on clear decal film and the variance in shade is due to the background setting and degree of gray applied to the original image. I used many colour images that were turned into grayscale for this project. The weapons array feature two Harpoon anti-shipping missiles as well as the usual two Sidewinders and two Sparrows. The gun is represented with a decal.

Lou

lastvautour

The roundel decals for the Swiss Hornet came from an old ESCI aftermarket sheet that has been laying around for over 25 years. The decals are brittle but workable if you are careful. All other decals are home made on clear decal film and the variance in shade is due to the background setting and degree of gray applied to the original image. I used many colour images that were turned into grayscale for this project. The weapons array features two long range tanks, two Sparrows and two Sidewinders.

Lou

lastvautour

The Australian Hornet decals are entirely home made. Again a colour image was grayscaled to make the tail markings. The Aussie F-18 sports six Sidewinders as well as two Sparrow missiles.

Lou

buccfan

They look great Lou, a proper Hornet meet. I've got some decals for mine from an Egg plane, you get a choice of two schemes. They are certainly cleared to take a good variety of weapons. I shall save these images to file as a reference for my build if you don't mind.Regards Paul J.

lastvautour

RCAF 410 Squadron Hornet is the sole twin seater F-18 in the collection to date. Decals are all home made on clear decal film. The "Cougar Bird" has two Sidewinders and four Sparrow missiles. 410 Squadron is an Operational Training unit capable of deployment to the combat arena if needed. It was also my last unit prior to retirement from the Canadian Forces.

Lou
PS The Balkan Rat F-18 was covered in the group build.

lastvautour

Thank you Paul. I really enjoyed making them. I can supply you with some weapon templates if you want them.

Lou

buccfan

Weapon temps would be great Lou thanks. What colour did you use for the exhaust nozzles, my ref calls for burnt steel, regards Paul J.

lastvautour

I used Model Master Acrylic "Jet Exhaust".

Lou

PS Templates forthcoming.

buccfan

Thanks again Lou.Regards Paul J.

Balsabasher

Great paint jobs and decalling.
Barry.

lastvautour

Thank you Barry, these are really fun to make and decorate.

Lou

lastvautour

Latest addition to the Squadron.

Lou

lastvautour

The AirToon elves have been busy. A RCAF CT-156 Harvard II equivalent to a USAF T-6 Texan II.

lastvautour

The AirToon elves have been busy. A RCAF CT-156 Harvard II equivalent to a USAF T-6 Texan II. ( Part 2)

lastvautour

The AirToon elves have been busy. An RCAF CT-156 Harvard II equivalent to a USAF T-6 Texan II. (Part 3)