• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

RCAF's 100th 1/72 - Avro CF-100 Canuck Started 14 May 2023 Finished 24 July 2023

Started by lastvautour, May 14, 2023, 02:43:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

The 1/72 scale CF-100 wood has been selected and rough cut.

Lou

lastvautour

lastvautour

Priority on this one is fairly low. however, some work had started on the port engine nacelle.

Lou

lastvautour

Nacelles are held in place with a dowel running through the three parts to ensure alignment and carving is progressing slowly. I had to add some wood to the rear fuselage as I had gotten to eager with my blade.

Lou

lastvautour

Ready for the sandpaper prior to assembly.

Lou

lastvautour

Assembly has begun. Clamping the engine nacelles is used to ensure a good bond as it needs to be cleanly faired to the fuselage

Lou

lastvautour

Currently in the paint booth. Here is the final sanding stage. I already see a need for further sanding after the primer dries.

Lou

lastvautour

The second coat of primer is done. It is slowly coming along.

Lou

Boomerang

lastvautour

Thank you Gordon. I am making an extra effort to get this one right. I remember the CF-100 flying over our school yard mid-1950s. I was impressed then, and still have a tender spot in my heart for the "Lead Sled".

Lou

lastvautour

An experiment: crack filling primer followed by white and then black Stay tuned for further development.

Lou

lastvautour

An experiment part two" Sections have been masked off before applying the black. Once removed you have this. Next will be masking the leading edge de-icing boots and application of light mist silver. I hope to get panel definition.

Lou

lastvautour

A big fat fail. My experiment failed to attain the desired results. At first glance, I think I will need to sand off the model and start painting from scratch.

Lou

Dave T

lastvautour

The paint acted strangely with large area looking like a dry matt paint job and other areas glossy. This never happened on a test piece I had done before. I will try something else. I want to avoid masking over silver as in most cases it it will lift the shine were the tape lays. I  may try coating with Future. Gloss finishes normally screws with the silver.

Lou