• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

RCAF's 100th 1/72 - Fairchild 71 Started 17 May 2022 Complete 19 June 2022

Started by lastvautour, May 17, 2022, 05:50:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

Another 1/72 single engine yellow bird on floats. Blocks are cut and construction should begin shortly.

Boomerang

A Fairchild ?

Gordon

lastvautour

Yes, it is a Fairchild. Some progress completed yesterday.

Lou

lastvautour

Engine construction under way on my Fairchild 71. Cylinders started as 1/8 in dowels. I used a V file to notch the top off the cylinder followed with a round file.

Lou

lastvautour

A bit more work done today. Engine needs intake & exhaust manifolds and electrical harness(perhaps). Wing is mated to the fuselage. Next will be some more sanding followed by primer and 1mm tape ribbing.

Lou

lastvautour

In the paint booth for first coat of primer. Ribbing has been done on the main wing. I ran out so I need to purchase some 1mm tape.
Next, floats.

Lou

lastvautour

Float blanks are cut and ready to carve.

Lou

lastvautour

Floats are carved and cross beams attached.

Lou

lastvautour

Floats in the spray booth for some primer.

Lou

Gearup

Quote from: lastvautour on May 25, 2022, 12:10:06 PM
Engine construction under way on my Fairchild 71. Cylinders started as 1/8 in dowels. I used a V file to notch the top off the cylinder followed with a round file.

Lou

Great looking detail on the engine and cylinders.
Fraser

Gearup

This is going to be an interesting model to look at. Float planes always seem to have good character to them.
Fraser

lastvautour

I like float planes. I am also doing a 1/32 Otter and it will be on floats.

Lou

lastvautour

The Fairchild 71 was launched 19 June 2022. Just over a month is typical for a model this size.

The Royal Canadian Air Force evaluated the Fairchild 71 in mid-June 1930. Thirty four RCAF F-71s were operated from 1930 to 1946. the RCAF F-71 were utilized primarily in the aerial photographic survey role as well as northern transport. In November 1934, the RCAF transferred the FC-71s to the five detachments flying in the amalgamated Maritimes No. 5 (Flying Boat) Squadron at RCAF Station Dartmouth.

Lou

Gearup

Again the aircraft looks so natural in the photos. Great Job. I always think the Fairchild has the look of a real bush plane on floats.

Fraser

lastvautour

Thank you Fraser. I too, love those high wing float planes.

Lou