• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

RCAF's 100th - 1/144 Piasecki H-21 Flying Banana 1 May 22 - 22 Jun 22

Started by lastvautour, May 15, 2022, 06:46:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

The Piasecki H-21 were flying in Chatham NB when I was first posted there in 1967. Unfortunately, I did not have a camera in those days. The common name was the Flying Banana and the official name was the Workhorse.

My model is 1/144 and is beginning to take shape being carved in the vertical and longitudinal planes.

Lou

lastvautour

Some progress today It is hard when you can't find cross section drawings. I am using pictures to gauge the shape of the rear fuselage. The front fuselage is round.

Lou

lastvautour

lastvautour

Thank you Gordon. Undercarriage attached and primed. Undercarriage is Evergreen rod and main wheels have a wooden center inside an Evergreen tube outer portion.

Lou

Gearup

The old helicopters must have been a challenge to keep in the air. Of course the fixed wing pilot take on helicopters tries to bear that thought out. Ie: If helicopters are so reliable and safe, why are there no antique helicopter fly-ins?
Fraser

lastvautour

I suppose old helicopters are harder to maintain. These were flying at Chatham NB during my first RCAF Posting back in 1967.

Lou

lastvautour

Masking for the blue application. Others are at various stages of mask/paint.

Lou

lastvautour

Roll out 22 June 2022. I used CanMilAir decals and a few odds and ends from my printer. Windows are brush oily steel over 1/64 chart tape.

Lou