• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

RCAF's 100th - 1/144 Mil Mi-17 Hip Started 15 Apr 22 Completed 2 May 2022

Started by lastvautour, April 20, 2022, 04:56:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

Started last week is this Mil MI-17 leased by the RCAF in Afghanistan. Grid lines are 1cm apart to show the small size of this 1/144 fairly large helicopter. The five blade main rotor promises to be a challenge.

Lou

Boomerang

lastvautour

Engine exhaust, side blisters and APU intake attached.

Lou

lastvautour

Moving along

lou

lastvautour

Photo 1 - main rotor blades and hub cut. Blades are 1/64" thick and hub approx. 1/16".
Photo 2 - blades attached with superglue. Unit is glued upside down. An image of the rotor is under the glass for alignment purposes.
Photo 3 - hub is elevated and water applied to top of blades to induce droop. I may have to do this few time.
Photo 4 - engine intakes attached.
Photo 5 - fuselage and tail boom assembly attached using superglue. Note size comparison with ruler.

I will be attempting to do decals for it. If it does not pan out, I will purchase from CanMilAir.

Lou

lastvautour

I just realised I glued the blades incorrectly. When I flip the rotor for installation, the blade face the wrong way. The rotor should turn clockwise. That cannot stand as such.

Lou

lastvautour

Blades fixed by cutting out the glued parts, attaching a 1/2 round bamboo dowel and regluing. It now rotates clockwise from above.

Decals printed and tested on scarp painted with desert sand paint and coated with Future wax. Look good to me so I will proceed with my own markings. Some are just to small to make out visibly but I will add them anyways. The entire sheet is printed in dark red/brown colour.

Lou

Gearup

I like the layer approach to constructing the fuselage. Seems like helicopters have lots of little bits to ad once the basic airframe is complete. Great idea for getting the droop of the main rotor blades with water and weights.
Never thought about "steam bending" such small parts.
Thanks Lou

Fraser

lastvautour

Fraser - I would be afraid of steam inducing a twist to the blade. They are only 1/64 thick.

All is assembled and painted. The main rotor has 21 parts and was troublesome to make. The tail rotor is only eight parts. The fuselage and undercarriage comprise of 31 parts.

Lou

Boomerang

lastvautour

Thank you Gordon. I had to redo the decals. however it should be done later today.

Lou

lastvautour

Roll out 2 May 2022. My largest 1/144 helicopter so far.

Lou

Gearup

That is a fantastic looking helicopter, Lou 👍. Considering the model in your hand is 144, the real helicopter is huge.  You have gotten a lot of good detail as well. Now I think I may have to add a hangar mock-up for photos as well.

Great job.
Fraser

lastvautour

Thank you Fraser. I need to induce more blade droop. I am trying superglue in the bottom side while bend to shape on a jig I made. I may still sand the bottom of blade down to the wood to do so if it does not work over the paint.

Lou
PS mulling over doing a 1/144 CH-113 that I worked with 103 Rescue in Gander 88-90.

Boomerang

Another excellent model Lou.

Big enough yet small enough.

Cheers

Gordon