• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

RCAF's 100th - 1/32 De Havilland Canada DHC-3 Otter 17 Apr 22 to 25 Oct 23

Started by lastvautour, April 17, 2022, 06:52:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

Floats are rough cut and bigger than most of my 1/72 models.

Lou

lastvautour

Tail feathers are attached with white glue.

Lou

lastvautour

The floats are rough sanded and wheels are being fashioned from dowels. The floats are bigger than most 1/72 models.

Lou

lastvautour

Today was undercarriage day for my amphibian Otter.

Lou

lastvautour

Test fitting the undercarriage to the floats.

Lou

Gearup

Lovely looking floats. I like that you have built the amphibious versions. That is a big airplane when sitting on the tarmac . Apparently the pilot eye height on the ramp is similar to a Boeing 737.
Fraser

lastvautour

We had one in Goose Bay in the summer of 1978. My model will be serial 3671. The silver paint will be a problem as my current supply of spray cans are all too bright. I need to find a flat silver and then put on a gloss coat. As to the size, it is indeed a big aircraft.

Lou

Gearup

It had a great sound too. I may have been due to the augmenter pipes.
Fraser

lastvautour

The fuselage straighteners have been affixed. I am slowly getting the courage to tackle the floats attachment struts.

Lou

lastvautour

I am using .040 in half round Evergreen styrene strips to simulate the corrugated control surfaces. I have a limited supplies, hence I ordered some more only to find they are on backorder. I hope it will not be too long.

Lou

Boomerang

Shortage of supplies seems to be all over. The only local hobby shop near me has a very stark selection of wood and wire.

Gordon

lastvautour

Things will probably get worst before getting better. It is a good thing that I don't rely on for my livelihood.

Lou

Gearup

I agree that now some supplies are scarce. If I find smaller brass from K&E i buy it. The supplies here in the local shops is spotty and even south of the boarder it seems to be no better. Wood, not a problem....

Fraser

lastvautour

The float struts are glued to the floats and await final shaping. The photo shows them just sitting on the fuselage. The secondary structs and ladders will have to play a part in holding the heavy fuselage in place.

Lou
PS I am told that the styrene strips have been ship and should arrive by Friday.

lastvautour

Corrugating the control surfaces is progressing slowly. I hope I have enough materiel so I can finish it this summer.

Lou