• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

RCAF's 100th - 1/32 De Havilland Canada DHC-3 Otter 17 Apr 22 to 25 Oct 23

Started by lastvautour, April 17, 2022, 06:52:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

Started a new project. It will be fairly big so completion estimated to be in 2023.

Lou

lastvautour

This photo should be a dead giveaway. Had to use the old fashion method to spit the vertical tail on my latest model.

Lou

Gearup

An otter perhaps?

Boomerang

I'll go along with an Otter as well.

Gordon.

lastvautour

Indeed, that tail is distinctive. DHC-3 Otter it is. Its going to be a big model.

Lou

lastvautour

A slow start to a fairly large model.

Lou

lastvautour

Spent a few hours giving my Otter so TLC. Engine cylinders are assembled and glued to the crankcase. A close look at the fins shows sloppy work. I may just do them over if I can't sort them out. I made a jig for drilling the crankcase, so a redo would not be all that hard.
Regardless, the photo conveys the idea.

Lou

lastvautour

I redid the engine cylinders. The fins are much better than the previous attempt. Next pushrods and sump.

Lou

Boomerang

lastvautour

Thank you Gordon. Better than the first attempt, but then wooden projects allow us to do these things. I have since added pushrod and sump. Next sparkplug wiring.

Lou

lastvautour

I was not pleased with the leading edge profile, so I cut out another blank and will reshape to a better profile.

Lou

Gearup

Nice detail on the fins. Definitely the hardest part I find is to get a fin that does not look like a screw thread.

Fraser

lastvautour

Thank you Fraser. A tight winding usually gets the screw pattern to a minimum.

Lou

lastvautour

Some progress this weekend. 1/144 to 1/32 comparison.

Lou

Gearup

That is what is so cool about building solid models. The range of scales are unlimited! Great visual of the two models.
Fraser