• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

RCAF's 100th - 1/32 DH-60 Gipsy Moth Started 24/01/22 Completed 9 May 2022

Started by lastvautour, January 24, 2022, 04:59:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

Parts are rough cut for my RCAF DH-60 Gypsy Moth.

Lou

lastvautour

Finally came back to the Gypsy Moth.

Lou

lastvautour

A bit of carving this morning. I will open up the fuselage to install instruments, controls and seats. I am debating under camber for the wings. I don't usually do this and leave the bottom wing flat.

Lou

Boomerang

lastvautour

Thank you Gordon. I have no particular priority so my Gypsy Moth may be done late next April.

Lou

lastvautour

Photo 1 Cockpit areas hollowed out.
Photo 2 Parts are just loosely assembled for photo op. Wing bottom are concave airfoil shape.

Lou

Boomerang

Back in the day I was going to make an RC model of the Gypsy and I've always liked this scheme.

Gordon

lastvautour

Nice photo. Mine will be in RCAF yellow as per most of my biplanes.

Lou

lastvautour

Ribbing is taking longer than anticipated. I snapped broke the dihedral break joint on the top wing and had to resort to making two small spars to span the area. I also took additional caution in making spars for the bottom wing as well.

Lou

lastvautour

Sub assembly is in the paint shop for some white primer prior to applying the trainer yellow.

Lou

lastvautour

Gypsy Moth first coat of yellow.

Lou

lastvautour

Undercarriage and exhaust manifold being worked on.

Lou

lastvautour

Back to the paint shop after adding fuselage ribbing. Will require at least two more yellow coats before assembly of the upper wing.

Lou

Gearup

The moth is looking great. Very nice joinery of the landing gear components, Lou.
Fraser