• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

2001 - 2021 Ann 1/48 RCAF Beech C-90B King Air 17 Nov 21 - 9 Jan 22

Started by lastvautour, November 17, 2021, 07:08:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

I have started a new project and will continue the project unnamed until some one guesses what it is. It's 1/48 scale and is a Canadian RCAF twin engine trainer.

Lou
PS The topic tittle will be changed in due course to reflect the aircraft name.

Boomerang

Mmmmmm.... Thinking cap on.

Gordon

Gearup

Cosmopolitan?

lastvautour

Training aircraft.

Lou

Gearup

Beech king air C90. I was initially thinking Crane or Anson, but the engines are round and the tails don't have a pronounced sweep on  the fin.

Fraser

lastvautour

Indeed, this was way to easy for you Fraser. I think the current colour scheme is wonderful and better still, CanMilAir makes a 1/48 decal for 4 different aircraft.

Lou

https://www.abovebelow.ca/product/610-beechcraft-c-90b-king-air-allied-wings-2005-/441?cp=true&sa=false&sbp=false&q=false&category_id=133

lastvautour

Components are block shaped. A two piece wing which is not the norm for me. The dihedral is so great that I would need a laminated block to shape it in one piece.

Lou

Boomerang

A nice looking aeroplane. Colour scheme looks great.

Looking forward to updates and finished model.

Gordon

lastvautour

Gearup

I like how you will be pinning the wing halves to the fuselage. Looks like it will be strong and help in the alignment.
Fraser

lastvautour

New wings are being fashioned as I was not satisfied with the first set. Engine nacelle blocks have also been cut and await carving. My drawing was correct for the fuselage outline, however the RCAF C-90As were converted to C-90B, hence the differently shaped nacelles. Working with plastic would have created impossible task of doing the conversion. However, happy to work with wood where a few cuts and shavings will produce the desired items.

Lou

Gearup

Wood is what makes the models fun.😀
I think the KingAir is a nice looking aircraft with good proportions and sleek lines.

The expanded version, Beech 1900 just doesn't look right. Anything that needs six fins added to the tail (and why not add a pair of winglets) to fly straight should have been started with a clean sheet of paper.  Just say'n 🤨

The US Arm RC-12 appears to have a few additional antennas added to disguise that fact. I'm not sure how a person would even walk up to that thing?

Fraser

lastvautour

New wing, leading edge extensions and first coat of primer. Engine nacelles are done and will be attached in a few days. I doubt the King Air will be done by new year.

Lou

Boomerang

lastvautour

Thank you Gordon. This will not be completed by year's end as I have decided to order decals from CanMilAir and I can pretty well guarantee they will not be here by Christmas.

Lou