• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

2020 -2021 20th Anniversary Stearman PT-27 Kaydet 26/03/21 - 06/07/21

Started by lastvautour, March 26, 2021, 09:20:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

Second of three new projects is a Stearman PT-27 Kaydet in 1/32 scale. I anticipate slow progress but intending completion by year's end. Drawings printed and wood for the wings have been cut.

Lou

lastvautour

Finally found a few hours to work on my Kaydet, mainly the engine. I made two different engines, one  that will be used on my Kaydet, a  Continental R 670-1 and a Lycoming R 680-17 engine I have seen on other PT-17. The R 670-5 has a really clean frontal view with no pushrods or manifolds. I still need some work to do before painting. The R 680-17  with the red manifold needs to have the piping reduced in size and the slant reversed.

The crankcase is seven sided and started as a 1/2 inch dowel. The cylinders are 1/8 inch X 7 mm with 1/16 inch X 5 mm pegs to secure to the crankcase.
Cooling fins are telephone wire. I removed 7.5 cm insulation and wrapped it around a 1/8 in dowel. I also did some by wrapping the installed cylinder. I also drilled a very small hole just behind the cylinder and inserted the wire in it for security. It gives me 5 winds of thin with 3 winds of thick wire.

Rock arm covers are bamboo on the R-670-5 and 1/16 dowel on the R 680-17.
Lou
PS Engine stands took half an hours using round toothpick and bamboo sticks. Quick dry superglue reduced much of the time required.

lastvautour

Moving along, I painted the engines and a stand. Also the prop is ready for mounting. As long as I was at it, I made a prop stand too. Now if I had a fuselage and some wings ...

Lou

lastvautour

Fuselage block glued and awaits carving. Engine nearly done. Can't find pictures showing intake manifold.

Lou

Boomerang

lastvautour

Gearup

I really learned a lot by this engine build. Great idea on making the valve covers! The engine stands are cool too.
Fraser

lastvautour

Thank you Fraser. I like doing maintenance equipment when I can and add it to my hangar once the project is completed.

Lou

lastvautour

Fuselage and wings starting to take shape. This will be a long project.

Lou

lastvautour

Upper wing nearly done and bottom one is in block form. Ribs are done by sanding with sandpaper wrapped around a dowel. These are big projects for me.

Lou

lastvautour

Did some fuselage carving this afternoon. I am debating if I should open up the cockpits.

Lou

buccfan

Boomerang

Looking forward to when the airframe is married to the engine.

Coming along very nicely.

Cheers

Gordon

lastvautour

lastvautour

Decided to open the cockpits. Still a few pieces to do: sticks, throttles etc.

Lou