• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

2001 - 2021 - 20th Anniversary 1/144 Boeing 307 Stratoliner 28/10/21 - 06/06/21

Started by lastvautour, January 28, 2021, 10:01:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

Template blanks drying. The only 1/144 so far for 2021. The Stratoliner is bigger than most 1/72 WWII fighter.

Lou

lastvautour

I have started in a medium I don't use very often, namely balsa.

Lou

lastvautour

Balsa parts scraped in favour of pine. Major components blocks are cut.

Lou

lastvautour

Pine parts are cut. Wing is shaped and has two inboard engine mount carved out. The remainder is in block form.

Lou

buccfan

Good start Lou, did you have a problem with the balsa? ,regards Paul J.

lastvautour

I shave off about 3mm with a swipe of my sanding stick. I have worked with it before but could not get the wing shape. Pine is my backup for everything.

Lou

Gearup

I'm also not a fan of working with balsa. Another factor is a small carving block costs more than an entire 2x4 ;)
Just checked here it is $15 bf., bass wood is $8 bf and a pine/spruce 2x4 Works out to about $2 bf. I guess wood is still cheap for our hobby🤷???
Fraser

lastvautour

lastvautour

Every thing is glued with exception of the inboard engine, which will be attached once I am satisfied with the wing fuselage joint.

Lou

lastvautour

Gearup

You have really illustrated how to get a good fit with the nacelles to the wing. It seems much better than notching the nacelles.
Fraser

lastvautour

Engine nacelles are always a problem for me. Other members seem to just fit them perfectly while I keep the filler companies in business.

Lou

lastvautour

Ready for the primer and first primer coat photos.

Lou