• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

72 Douglas B-66 Destroyer Started 12 Nov 2020 Completed 19 Dec 2020

Started by lastvautour, November 12, 2020, 08:37:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

Douglas B-66 Destroyer is the second of three 1st Generation Jet bombers. Can't get much more basic than the attached photo. The Destroyer fuselage will be slightly over 11 inch (2" X 8" plank) long.

Lou
Note. The Destroyer is incorrectly identified as a 1st generation jet. It did not reach service until 1956 which disqualifies it as such.

lastvautour

Major component blocks have been cut. This project will proceed slowly as I concentrate on the Vautour. I am also thinking of adding an IL-28 Beagle to the mix

Lou

lastvautour

Spent an enjoyable two hours in my shop. Blocks are taking form.

Also a comparison of the B-66 to the Vautour IIA.

Lou

Boomerang

Good comparison with relative size of the aircraft.
Cheers
Gordon

lastvautour

The Vautour IIA is a fighter bomber while the Destroyer is a straight up bomber. The B-45 waiting in the wings is larger still. The IL-28 is somewhere in the middle.

Lou

lastvautour

lastvautour

I did not like the shape of the rear cockpit area so cut and paste a new piece. This is the good thing with wood. I challenge any plastic builder to do the same.

Lou

lastvautour

New upper fuselage contour and tail end armament.

Lou

Gearup

lastvautour

lastvautour

Sun-assemblies are glued, puttied and rough sanded. Completed model is held together with dowels. First coat of Rustoleum grey primer has been applied.

Lou

Gearup

Nice use of the dowel pins for the pylons. This probably really helps with aligning them for assembly!
Fraser

lastvautour

B-66 roll out 19 Dec 2020. I was in error in identifying it as a 1st generation jet. Regardless, the Destroyer is completed. Research revealed that it never dropped a bomb in anger and was assigned reconnaissance and electronic warfare duties before the Vietnam hostilities broke out.   

buccfan

Excellent job Lou, I do like a camo paint scheme. Regards Paul J.

lastvautour