• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

RCAF 100th - 1/72 Canadair Argus Started 14 Apr 2018 complted 01 Oct 2023

Started by lastvautour, April 14, 2018, 07:39:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

Engine nacelle templates cut. Spent a good hour sanding the fuselage. Another couple should have it where I want it.

Lou

lastvautour

After nearly a full year since my last post. The engine nacelles have been cut out and carving has started on an outboard engine.

Lou

lastvautour

The previous four nacelles are scraped and new ones fashioned. It happens!!!

Lou

Boomerang

lastvautour

Thank you Gordon. Sometimes, one needs to scrap parts and start over.

Lou

lastvautour

The engine nacelles are contoured and rough sanded. The wing has been thinned down to 15mm using my hand planer. Unusual for me is the building of a flat wing and I will cut to insert the dihedral. I wanted to avoid laminating the wing. The 1/32 and 1/48 versions required lamination despite being done flat and cut afterward.

Lou

lastvautour

Nacelle were further carved/sanded to as more circular shape and carburetor intake scoop installed.

Lou

lastvautour

Number 1 engine notched to the wing.

Lou

Gearup

The nacelles are models in their own right. I think the turbo-compound engines are a marvel of engineering. There are a couple here at the local museum, but they have not been displayed very well and get overlooked.

Fraser

lastvautour

Some progress following a two week trip to see my son and daughter. Engines are test fitted to the wing and await minor trimming before permanent attachment.

Lou

Note: Comparison with the 1/144 North Star wing.

Boomerang

lastvautour

Thank you Gordon. I need to put some sanding time on the fuselage to take out the high spots.

Lou

lastvautour

Wings are mated to the fuselage. Gluing will take place once fillets are carved. Note the size difference between the Argus and the Halifax. During WWII, the Halifax was a heavy bomber. Now is would be a medium at best.

Lou

lastvautour

Moving along, the wing is screwed down and the stab and vertical fin are held in place with round toothpick dowels.

Lou

lastvautour

The wing has been rough sanded and await its first primer coat. Due to the size, I need to wait until the weather is better to spray outside.

Lou