• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

RCAF 100th - 1/72 Canadair Argus Started 14 Apr 2018 complted 01 Oct 2023

Started by lastvautour, April 14, 2018, 07:39:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

Even in 1/72 scale the Argus measures 23.72 inch wing spans and a 22.08 inch fuselage length. Drawings have been printed and need to be assembled before templates can be made. I have ordered some basswood with little hope of getting it before July. I may do one in pine until the basswood arrives.

Lou

buccfan

Look forward to some progress pics as usual. Regards Paul J.

lastvautour

We have a "Friend Of The Argus" Facebook group that I wish to entice in making their own Argus. This build will be aimed at the novice builder.

Lou

lastvautour

Drawings have been printed in top and side views. The side view is in Excel (3 pages) and the top in Word (5 Pages). I will post the top images on the next post.
The side view is pasted into an Excel page and enlarged to have a fuselage length of 22.08 inches and a fuselage width of 2 inches. The common number is 2 inches for the fuselage. I printed several copies before getting the 2 in width.

lastvautour

The images are paste into a legal size Word doc. Test print the center section to get that magic 2 in fuselage width. Then the other sections are sized to the same percentage of the original to get all parts to show the same scale. The wings should be 23.72 and the fuselage 22.08 inches. It may take several tries but better to get it right. Note the port wing is just a reverse of the starboard and will not have a search light. I will cut and glue the fuselage top and bottom to card stock for the templates. Another set of drawings will be printed to make templates for the one piece wing. I have yet to decide if I will build the dihedral into the wing or shape it flat and cut the center section in a saw tooth fashion like the 1/48 and 1/32 versions.

Lou

lastvautour

Wood has been purchased. I look for the whitest and lightest pieces.

Lou

lastvautour

Just picked up a 2"X7"X72". Sweet, now I need to visit a saw mill to cut that down to workable size.

Lou

lastvautour

And so it begins. Nice straight grain light clear pine 1" X 6" X 8'. The upper portion will be cut along the lines and three of those will be laminated to form the fuselage and the bottom part will be the one piece wing. The tail surfaces will be cut from another board of almost the same quality.

Lou

PS. I was not able to secure a band saw large enough to slice the basswood. I will save it for other projects.

buccfan

Looks like you found some quality timber there Lou, looking forward to some progress shots as usual. Regards Paul J.

lastvautour

The main wings have been marked by placing the drawing over the wood and placing pins at the junction spots. Once removed the pin holes are joined by pencil lines to form the shape of the wing. (Pictures 1 & 2)

Lou

lastvautour

The fuselage pieces are cut and will be glued shortly. The last picture reminds me of my early work circa 1954.

Lou

Oceaneer99

I always love watching your projects, Lou.

Garet

lastvautour

Thank you Garet. I hope the Argus group I belong to on Facebook will follow it as well.

Lou

lastvautour

The fuselage block is glued and the top surface is sanded square to the sides.

Lou

lastvautour

I cut out the paper profile and placed it on the side of the block and marked the location of the center fuselage breaks. These lines are applied to the all around the block and as wood is removed to the image edge, the lines will be continuously replaced.

Lou