• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

1/48 P-51 Mustang Simulator .............(Started 12 Aug 17 Completed 15 Aug 17)

Started by lastvautour, August 16, 2017, 01:06:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

If the Mustang had a simulator to familiarize new pilots with the cockpit, this may be what it would have looked like. I took 95 photo but have reduced that number for the post.

Photo 1 - Let us start where we left of with the bubble canopy build.
Photo 2 - Removed the cockpit block. Glue the front/rear sections on a suitable block. Insert shims to replace the width of the saw blade.
Photo 3 - Spit the removed the center portion and thin down the cockpit wall. I left approx 1/8. Test fit the wall to a tight joint.
Photo 4 - I used Tamiya paints on the interior.
Photo 5 & 6 - I used a round rasp and sand paper over dowels to carve out the canopy. I left lots of material for strength.
Photo 7 & 8 - Once done I painted everything black using decoArt acrylic.

Lou

PS Another member has done this before with open cockpit aircraft. I did the same for my DR 1, SE5A and P-26A. He who showed me, please stand up and be recognized and praised.

lastvautour

Photo 1 & 2 - The instrument panel is glued and the walls attached, puttied and sanded.
Photo 3 & 4 - the fuselage is painted matt black and bits and pieces added to make the bulkhead look busy.
Photo 5 & 6 - The seat bottom is built up using a small block and the back is part of the placard set I down loaded. The seat belts on the bottom are masking tape and silver paint.

Lou

lastvautour

Photo 1 thru 4 - cockpit placards installed and edges painted interior colour for blending.
Photo 5 - Stand constructed of dowels and Evergreen plastic strips.
Photo 6 - Bulkheads painted.
Photo 7 thru 9 - Control column is a flat tooth picked carved to shape and bamboo dowel painted appropriately.

Lou

lastvautour

Photo 1 thru 4 - The fuselage is painted Testor flat aluminum and covered with three coats of acrylic liquid wax.
Photo 4 thru 8 - The stand is completed with steps I designed on my Word program.

Lou

[/img]http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/albums/userpics/10004/normal_P-51_Mustang_Simulator_019.jpg[/img]

lastvautour

The completed diorama. I neglected to say the stands has retractable wheels.

Lou

lastvautour

My favorite photos

Lou

R.F.Bennett

"The Dude Abides"

lastvautour

lastvautour

Boomerang

I don't think so . I think it might have been Kenji.  I saw your photo's of how you did it and thought it was him. His board (from memory) had a few pictures of how he did it ( or a link to a group he was a member of). Masterpieces.

Cheers

Gordon

Model Maker

An excellent diorama. Great details!! You will have to find a special place in your display cabinet for this one.

-ken

lastvautour

I need a new hangar for a photo display area. This will take a prominent place on the hangar floor.

Lou

Rafael

lastvautour